Add Product

Search Results:

Sony x830c

Rep at my BBY convinced me to buy a Sony x830c and I must say I am completely disappointed. The 4k content looks great when netflix and youtube work, but any and all other contect is lacking.

The motion blur for sports is unwatchable at times and the colors are terribly washed out unless sitting directly in front of the screen. This is even after extenstive calibration and testing.

I plan on returning the unit to my local store, but wanted suggestions from the community. I am thinking of stepping up to the Samsung 8500 or 9000 series but heard the Sony x850c might address my needs. I use the tv mostly for sports and gaming.

Emerging Expert

Re: Sony x830c

I am surprised.  Myself I like Samsung and Sony but for picture quality and color control when I compare them side by side in the store I am more impressed with the Sony TV set.

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.

Which models were you looking at? Could be the 830c suffers compared to other models.

Emerging Expert

Now don't get me wrong. I think the Samsung TV's are very good.

I have been hoping in the back of my mind that my Plasma will give out on me.  (only a 2009 so still pretty new)

I have been looking at the 900+ series.  Sadly more expensive so I will put it on a BB card at 18 months no interest when the time comes.  We are lucky enough to have a Magnolia store near my office so I can go over and see the best that they have to offer.  

I was a little frustrated when Samsung made a Samsung area.  I preferred having all the TV's in a row and visually comparing them with the same source.

However, what makes me wonder is what is your data source for things other than NetFlix and YouTube?

It may very well be your input source.  When I got my plasma in 2009 I had issues as well.  Netflix (via a TIVO) looked awesome but Cable had issues.  Now I had no issues with the TV I had replace (32" Sony, CRT)

Long story short it turned out my cable from the street to my TV was older and of inferior grade.  Also, what I learned is the more splits you have between the street and your TV the worst things are.  Also the splitters are graded and some have more resistance than others.  Colors can wash out and video lag and pixelation 

What the cable guy did for me and educated me on is you should have 1 splitter that goes to your main TV and the other to everything else.  The cable comany ran high quality cable from the street all the way to my TV.

My video has been flawless since.  

Now here is a hint in case this is your issue.  My company was Charter Communication.  The cable guy on his first visit hinted I should add on the linebacker protection, which covers new cable and installation, for $6 a month.  Than a month after the service is completed cancel Linebacker.

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.

We have AT&T U-Verse with brand new lines and the VRAD within close proximity to my home. The new Sony is connected directly to the main line and my other two televisions are via wireless boxes. I am tempted to switch to DirecTV.

The resolution itself is terrific on the x830 but the motion blur and colors just seem off.

After some more browsing and research, I've narrowed my search down to the Samsung 8500 (dont see the value in the expensive 9500 series and not a fan of the curved 9000) and the Sony x850c.

I work in finance so will most likely use the leverage from the no-interest financing as well (can't beat free money) and try to score a bit of yield off the cash but Mr. Market has been rather fickle of late.

Thanks for your input -- greatly appreciated!

Emerging Expert

I agree not a fan of the curved screens either.  

The two you are considering really seem to be good sets. 

see if you can find something with sports i.e. fast moving balls or cars from netflix or something try that.  

Perhaps check the splitters make sure they are low impedence.  Sounds like you have the right cables.  I wonder if DirectTV would not do it for you?

Perhaps there is something wrong with your individual set, not so much the model.  Right out of the box I would expect Sony to be top knotch.

I own a new Sony 4k too. Have you tried the "Custom" picture mode? It turns off all the motion processing leaving only the 120hz native refresh rate.
Lastly, restart the tv from the settings menu under "About".

If you chose to upgrade your tv, the 850 does offer more color than your current model.

Good luck

@derail wrote:
I own a new Sony 4k too. Have you tried the "Custom" picture mode? It turns off all the motion processing leaving only the 120hz native refresh rate.
Lastly, restart the tv from the settings menu under "About".

If you chose to upgrade your tv, the 850 does offer more color than your current model.

Good luck

This is the best way to firgure out what your problem is with the TV. The 830C is great for the money and can look and work well when setup correctly. They come from the factory with almost all of the processing on. This needs to be adjusted to the users prefrence. This goes for 99% of the TVs out there. If you do not adjust the settings to fit your needs all TV's will not look so great ina  home environment.