Add Product

Search Results:

Highlighted
Visitor

NS-BDLIVE01 does not output rear channel sound to 5.1 Surround system

I'm really hoping someone can help, as this is very frustrating.

I've got an NS-BDLIVE01 Blu Ray player connected to an older Sony 5.1 Surround Digital Audio/Video Control Center with Digital Audio Out (either coaxial or optical, it doesn't matter which the result is the same) - and no matter what i do it just does not output any sound at all the the 2 rear channel speakers.

Here are the facts:

1) Rear channel speakers are fine, they are connected correctly and they can recieve sound. They just do not when using the Blu Ray player.

2) This is true no matter what disc is being used. It happens with Blu Ray discs, DVDs, even those with 5.1 Dolby DTS tracks, even when those tracks are selected, even when the Control Center shows it is recieving a DTS signal.

The Blu Ray player's audio is set to Bitstream Mixed, PCM Downsampling off, Dynamic Range Control off. I've tried just about every other combination, though, and nothing seems to work.

Help!

Highlighted
Visitor

Re: NS-BDLIVE01 does not output rear channel sound to 5.1 Surround system

I can't believe no one replied.  I have exactly the same problem.  The Sony surround sound receiver says that I have 5.1 channel surround with the "mixed" setting but there is no sound out of the rear speakers.  Well, there is a tiny amount of noise, but no sound.

I get perfect surround with my Lite-On DVD recorder.

Highlighted
Visitor

My rear speakers work fine, so it is not a flaw within the BDLIVE01 in general.  I have an old Onkyo receiver and settings as Digital Output-Bitstream Mixed, PCM Downsampling-96Khz, and Dynamic Range Control-On.   The receiver has read all 5.1 output from both DVD's and BD's as DTS, see if your Sony's have options on DTS handling.   Do you get rear speak sound setting the bd player to PCM and the receiver to pro-logic?  Sorry to not be more helpful, I realize that "well mine works" sounds snotty, but it does mean that it should be possible for yours to work.

Highlighted
Visitor

When playing a BluRay disk, the receiver indicates DTC audio.  If I force it to ProLogic, it does give me rear channel sound (seems faked to my ears, though)  so I assume there is an incompatibility between the Insiginia's idea of mixed and my receiver's ability to decode the resultant signal.  As I mentioned above, the receiver thinks it is getting 5.1 channel DTS but can't decode the rear channels.
Highlighted
Visitor

Did you try the legacy setting to see if that helps?  It sounds like your right, the old sony is too old.  All that pro-logic does is take stereo audio and convert it to 4.1 (front stereo, center and rear) so yes, it is faked.
Highlighted
Visitor

As suggested by cannonfodder, please try the Bitstream Legacy option.

If this doesn't solve the issue, then most likely there's a compatibility issue between the two devices.

Regards,

Gonza

Highlighted
Visitor

Thanks guys - subsequent testing now leads me to believe that my problem lies in the reciever back-channel circuits, and not the blu-ray player... I get spotty or no back channels through other devices as well now, when it used to be no problem.

Probably time to buy a new receiver - this one is something like 8 or 9 years old.