SECURITY ALERT: GPCode Ransomware Holds Computers Hostage

by Geek Squad Agent on ‎11-30-2010 02:57 PM (15,182 Views)

Tell Me More: Ransomware is a type of malware that gives hackers access to your personal data. Once your computer is compromised, the hackers claim they will return your data once you send them money. Consumers unknowingly receive the virus from somewhere on the internet and it then encrypts your files and holds them hostage. With this particular form of ransomware, once the files are compromised consumers receive a ransom letter which appears on their desktop demanding $120 in order to receive their files back.

Should I Be Worried? We haven’t completed our investigation of this newest malware ransom issue; however, based on our initial research we have discovered the virus encrypts the computer’s original files, making any recovery efforts virtually impossible. Because of this, consumers should be extra careful about links they click on while surfing the internet.

What Do I Need to Do? Here’s what you should know about ransomware:

• If you have received the virus and the ransom note pops up on your desktop, consumers should immediately shutdown the computer. The malware is still infecting your computer and by shutting the system down, there is a chance you might be able to save some of the data that has not been corrupted yet.

• As a side note, please remember your data should always be backed up on a regular basis. If your files are saved, you can simply remove the virus from the compromised system and restore the data from your backup.

Geek Squad Final Word: As always, if you experience any undesired computer symptoms, seek help from a computer professional as soon as possible.

For more information, check out the Geek Squad home page at www.geeksquad.com or contact your nearest Geek Squad Agent. Whether it’s online, via 1-800-GEEKSQUAD, or in any Best Buy store, we’re here to help 24/7/365!

Announcements
Welcome to our Best Buy Community Forums. The Insignia and Rocketfish communities have been merged into this forum, please click on the links directly below in our Community Browser area to access our Insignia and Rocketfish boards! Rocketfish and Insignia can be found under our Best Buy Brands boards.
Geek Squad Videos

Visit our Channel on   

Labels