Add Product

Search Results:

now recovery partition so need to get some disks

Hi.  I bought a ROG notebook last december and I immediately upgraded my disk to a bigger one but in the process I accidently corrupted the original disk so now i have no recovery partition.  Where can I get some recovery disks?  I have an audio problem with this model that is shared by others online but there is no known fix.  I want to try a full factory reset.

thanks

Matt

Topics: 1,107
Kudos: 761
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 263

Re: now recovery partition so need to get some disks

If it's Windows 10, type Reset this PC in the search box and follow the directions.

Otherwise you can download a Win 10 ISO and do a clean install, activate your PC with no key.

If you bought a new system you could potentially get a recovery set for free.

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***

Because of the corrupted original disk I ended up installing windows 10 from scratch and downloading all the drivers.

I've never been sure that process is as accurate as the factory setup (since laptops have so so many alternate builds and configurations).

Assuming I do a windows reset as you suggested and it doesn't fix my audio problem, what would be my next step?

thanks

Regular Contributor

Define "audio problem. Which rog model is it? Last December as in under a year old? If it's still under warranty have you called Asus? Did you buy a geeksquad service plan on it?

I bought it last December so still in warranty.  No Geek Squad plan. Problem started about a month ago.

Laptop is ROG GU501GM.

The sound wavers in and out while playing music, skyping, etc.  I've found several instances online of others with a similar problem but nobody has found a solution that works for everybody.  I've already tried rolling back Window's updates, reinstalling the audio driver, looking for sound-enhancing gizmos that might be interfering.

I've strolled around the ASUS site but wasn't sure where to look for official support. I think I tried to register my laptop but kept getting an error I didn't understand but seem to say I can't do what I was doing because I wasn't registered, or something impossible to get around like that.

Regular Contributor

I'm guessing you tried using the generic windows drivers, uninstalling the Asus sonic software, and disabling the nvidia hdmi audio (disable it, not uninstall).
Normally I'd say take it to geek squad, I this case sence it may be hard to replicate I'd send it to Asus for warranty repair.

If you don't want to send it in, the simple fix it to buy wireless head phones that use a USB adapter. NOT bluetooth. The USB adapter replaces the audio chip.
Topics: 1,107
Kudos: 761
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 263

Or any USB Audio adapters work. Especially the ones you can order for a buck from overseas on popular websites. Can't  mention them here due to terms of service.

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***
Regular Contributor

wouldnt hurt to try unchecking both exclusive mode boxes as an experiment also

I should point out that this was a returned sold-as-new unit, not sure how that might affect my warranty situation.

On a different subject, here is the popup I get when trying to register my product with ASUS:

"Please confirm the registration of the product under “My Product” in your ASUS account. If you cannot see the product ensure you are logged in with the email address submitted during activation, otherwise please contact ASUS Support. Thank you."

Upon reflection I may have not needed to activate this, but I can't remember for sure.  So there might be a snafu in the records because of the previous ownership.