Add Product

Search Results:

Re: Selling used for New?

RealGeorgeW: no it was not an open box item which is really strange. It was sealed as if from the factory. My thought was maybe it was a tester that didn't wipe out the account info?
Topics: 648
Kudos: 503
Solutions: 315

If it was still factory sealed, then that's the only non-malicious explanation that I can think of. Were there any programs installed out of the ordinary, or any files/documents that looked out of place? I'm guessing you made the recovery media when you were setting it up, you could simply use those to wipe it so it would be fresh.

If you like my post, or solution to your issue/question, go ahead and click on the little star by my name and/or accept the post as the Solution. It makes me happy.

I'm NOT an employee of Best Buy, or Geek Squad, though I did work as an Agent for a year 5 years ago. None of my posts are to be taken as the official stance that Best Buy will take on your situation. My advice is just that, advice.
Unfortunately, that's the bad luck of any electronic, there's going to be bad Apples... wait that's a horrible pun.

I amt not sure what my status is because I did not understand how the microsoft updates were done in Nov, Feb and March.

It would seem to make you wonder if this was a reboxed item. If you could tell me how HP does updates on their items that would be helpful.

Topics: 648
Kudos: 503
Solutions: 315

That's beyond my scope of knowledge, hopefully SoMeAn will respond again.

If you like my post, or solution to your issue/question, go ahead and click on the little star by my name and/or accept the post as the Solution. It makes me happy.

I'm NOT an employee of Best Buy, or Geek Squad, though I did work as an Agent for a year 5 years ago. None of my posts are to be taken as the official stance that Best Buy will take on your situation. My advice is just that, advice.
Unfortunately, that's the bad luck of any electronic, there's going to be bad Apples... wait that's a horrible pun.

the updates were done on 2/17/12 and 3/09/12 and i purchased the laptop on 5/20/12.

Vendor Participant

Hello,

- RealGeorge, thank you for your assistance. 

- rt4x4, thanks for your response.  I regret that I don't have an answer for you but if you send me via Best Buy's private email your contact information and the product number and serial number of your unit, I will escalate within HP for a response.

Regards,

Priscilla, HP Social Media Ambassador

I bought an asus laptop a few years ago. After I got home, to register the computer, all the language looked like Arabic. So my password, setup made no sense to me. I couldn't log in because I didn't know the translation for my password... Also, I didn't have Arabic type keyboard.. I went back to best buy Abercorn, savannah. They said they had never seen this. They set up a new level/address So to speak where I could log in. So for a year this worked, I only needed Microsoft programs. Word, excel. But now I am cs major, and nothing works Compilers, etc. I have recognized that the Arabic looking symbols represent encryption. I have gotten around this by creating new destinations for downloads, files, etc. But now this computer operates super slow. My hunch is that this was a used computer and the files were encrypted to protect the privacy of previous owner I am reluctant to ever visit best buy ever again
Topics: 1,107
Kudos: 761
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 263

Did you have recovery media for your system? If not, a clean install of an OS disc with it's key will remedy the problem.

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***
Highlighted

They absolutely sell used items as new.

Many years ago I brought a blackberry. When I called Blackberry for support the serial number was registered to another person. Blackberry told me the device I purchased was used by another person who returned it to Bestbuy. Perhaps not all Bestbuys do it, but the Bestbuy in Elmhurst NY did.