Search Results:

Topics: 69
Kudos: 23
Blog Posts: 58

Laptop design?

[ Edited ]
Message Edited by Gina-BBY on 10-06-2008 07:59 PM
Gina|Former Senior Community Manager | Best Buy® Corporate

Re: How could laptops be designed better?

Since I have wired network thur my house I need to know if a laptop or Desktop has Gigbit Ethnernt or not.  Also I need to know if the product is Energy effient Star, and how many Watts of electricty it consumes.

[ Edited ]

I think that the super sticky, shiny palmrests and trackpads on HP's consumer laptops are awful. I find it nearly impossible to move my finger. I know HP can do better, as their business laptops look and feel awesome. I have a Lenovo Idea Pad that I just bought.  I really like it, except for the fact that it has a borderless screen that is very glossy. The glare is incredible. The borderless screen is nice, but I know that it could be made without the glare.

Laptops should also come with NO bloatware or any programs other than Windows, period. Even the branded helpdesk programs are useless. Get rid of them, save on software development costs and give consumers an excellent experience out of the box.

Also, a future looking thought: wireless power is HERE, now! I work for a company that is about to put wireless power in a soon to be released device, using the technology of a prominent wireless power company. The wireless power technology is tiny and works off of a safe, 900 mhz wireless signal, the same type long used in home cordless phones. If a large established company were to try, wireless charging could quickly be implemented in a laptop, using current technology. Enough power could probably be harnessed for a laptop if a single-wire antenna were looped behind the screen of the laptop, right under the outer caseing and would add no extra weight.

Message Edited by johngt on 10-04-2008 08:53 PM
iox

@johngt wrote:

I think that the super sticky, shiny palmrests and trackpads on HP's consumer laptops are awful. I find it nearly impossible to move my finger. I know HP can do better, as their business laptops look and feel awesome. I have a Lenovo Idea Pad that I just bought.  I really like it, except for the fact that it has a borderless screen that is very glossy. The glare is incredible. The borderless screen is nice, but I know that it could be made without the glare.

Laptops should also come with NO bloatware or any programs other than Windows, period. Even the branded helpdesk programs are useless. Get rid of them, save on software development costs and give consumers an excellent experience out of the box.

Message Edited by johngt on 10-04-2008 08:53 PM

I agree with everything you said. But I don't necessarily care about the wirless power thing. I find it easy to plug in an AC adaptor. The real problem is not tripping over the cord.

I too find that the shiny plastic look of a HP laptop is uselss and annoying, their making it look like children's toys and not useful devices that I would use for work. In addition to not installing the bloatware I think that the drivers should be included and that's it.

Also, synaptic touch devices are making neat strides with pseudo-multi-touch technology and it allows you to circle your finger on the trackpad to scroll.

What I think would be cool to see if a slide out mouse pad. Why? Because when I use a laptop, I want to use a mouse. I hate the touchpad. So if I got a laptop, I'd buy a mouse for it. And seeing a slide out tray for people who want to use mouses, would be cool in my opinion.

Also, a slider that you can raise or lower the angle of your keyboard. Just like a desktop keyboard has the stand clips on the back corners for people who rather the keyboard be at an angle instead of flat, I feel the same when when typing on laptop. I'm use to desktop keyboard at an angle so it's kind of annoying typing on a laptop.

Highlighted

we need to know which OS you use,if windows goto start,accessories,system info,nic,click on properties to see specs
Dana
Digital Imaging
Mobile Electronics
Personal Computers