Add Product

Search Results:

Best Buy didn’t give me a windows XP cd!!!

Best Buy didn’t give me a windows XP cd, and now, some one set the Administrator Password, and we cant remember it!!! Help!

Re: Best Buy didn’t give me a windows XP cd!!!

The Windows CD will not reset your password.  You would either have to login as a user with Administrative Privileges in Safe Mode to reset it, or use a special boot CD than can do it.  And what kind of computer do you have?  Most brands such as Compaq, HP, and Sony do not give you a real Windows CD, you'll get either a restore kit on CD/DVD or they will have a restore system on the hard drive itself.  Check you instructions to find out, as they usually include a parts list near the front.

Honestly, Best Buy is not supposed to, or required to provide you with the Operating System disk. And not just Best Buy, but any store that sells computers. It's the manufacturer's responsibility. At the same time, some makes/models of computers don't come with disks because the recovery/repair feature is built in, and you can access it by tapping/holding a particular key before Windows loads.

Try following the steps that the reply above mine states, because those are the proper steps to attempt. Goodluck. If all else fails, call the manufacturer of your computer and ask them for a copy of the disk for your computer.

Topics: 37
Kudos: 61
Solutions: 17

[ Edited ]

Hi credo_2!

Don't forget that using a Windows XP operating system disk would wipe your hard drive. If you don't want to lose all of your data by doing a system recovery, then you could take the computer into Geek Squad® Precinct within your local Best Buy® store, and for a small fee they will remove that password.  An Agent may require proof of purchase (a receipt) to show you are the owner of that computer before they perform this service.

Should you require a new set of recovery disks, as Phil noted, please contact your computer manufacturer through their website or customer service number. Best Buy® does not sell these in the store, and Geek Squad® requires you to provide your own restore disk if you should ever need their assistance to have your operating system fixed.  Make sure you have all valuable data backed up before completing a restore!  Good luck!

Message Edited by Jason-GS on 10-15-2008 12:02 AM
Matthew|Community Advocate | Best Buy® CorporateVisit our Channel on

Of course Best Buy didn't give you the operating system.  They want you coming back to them and Geek Squad every time you need YOUR operating system which YOU purchased.  It's nothing but a big scam.  I have bought about 8 Dells, through Dell, since the mid 90's and every single one came with an operating system disk.  I would absolutely not purchase a computer from anyone who didn't supply me the OS disk.  I want to be able to re-install Windows which I've done with every computer I've owned, or replace the hard drive, or repair a Windows installation, or install additional features.  Sure, as someone has stated, retail stores like Best Buy don't have to give you a disk.  But you don't have to buy a computer from anyone who doesn't supply an OS disk.    You bought the software and the license!  You're entitled!  
Highlighted
Topics: 37
Kudos: 61
Solutions: 17

Thank you for helping stress the importance of having recovery media on hand to resolve complex hardware or software errors.  Most manufacturers once provided a set of recovery disks but now opt to utilize a special partition of your hard drive on newer units – Dell being one of the exceptions you mentioned.  When selecting a new computer, rather than worry about if a computer comes with these disks, focus more on how you will use the computer and ensure it meets your needs.  If you do select a computer with a recovery partition, Best Buy® and Geek Squad® may actively offer to create a DVD recovery set for your convenience. If you are among the more adept computer users then you can opt to burn the recovery set yourself; either way – make sure you have them. Please contact the manufacturer directly if you should ever need a replacement set.

Matthew|Community Advocate | Best Buy® CorporateVisit our Channel on