Add Product

Search Results:

Topics: 130
Kudos: 18
Blog Posts: 8
Solutions: 279

Front load washing machines

About a year and a half ago I talked my husband into buying a new front load washing machine and dryer.  Previously the units he had left a lot to be desired.  They were loud, the dryer took FOREVER and the clothes came out of the washer wringing wet half of the time.  With a family of five, 4 of us being girls who love to change our clothes A LOT, we were in dire need up the upgrade!

At first he was very skeptical.  The unit was more costly than he wanted, and the front loader was unfamiliar technology for him. He was concerned about repairs, he did not know a lot about the benefits of a front loader, and let's face it, he was pretty attached to his loud, poorly working machines of his bachelor days!   Working in the appliance department myself at the time, I cunningly used my vast product knowledge,(along with a little pleading) to seal the deal. 

A year and a half later, he cannot stop raving about how much he loves our units.  The primary benefits he has seen is that he can wash a much larger load at one time.  Front loaders actually perform better when they have more clothes in them, due to the way they wash.  Another benefit he has seen is the overall cost savings on detergent and water.  In a front loader, it is imperative that you use detergents marked specifically for High Efficiency (HE).   Sometimes people mistakenly think they can just use less of normal detergent, however because HE detergent is made to be low sudsing, normal detergent simply won't work.  Standard detergent relies heavily on the suds factor to clean your clothing and this does not fly with a front loader.  In fact, you might see a wash time that is double or triple what it should be if you put in standard detergent, because most units have a suds sensor, and they will keep rinsing until the machine feels that all the extra suds are gone.  The cost savings is due to using so much less detergent. It really takes a tiny amount of HE soap to do the job a full capful of old standard detergent did in our old unit. 

Soap is really harmful if it is left in your clothes. It is like an endless cycle, soap from standard soaps is left in the clothing - soap attracts more dirt, making your clothes appear to get dirtier faster, so you have to wash them more.  Also, I can't stress enough to use HE soap ONLY in your front loader!  Standard soap can lead to build up in the actual machine and a sour type smell.  No matter how little you use!

The clothes actually come out with so little water in them that the dry time is LESS than the wash time!  Overall, we just love our units - can't you tell?  Smiley Happy

Who else out there loves their appliances and why?  Let's chat!

Dorothy|Social Media Supervisor | Best Buy® Corporate
Give Kudos if you like this post or Accept as Solution if it answers your query!
Recognized Member

Re: Front load washing machines

I COMPLETELY agree Dorothy, I have a pair of Samsung front loaders(the VRT's or whatever) and they use MUCH less water, and even less soap.Also, not having an agitator are less prone to many of the mechanical problems that older top loaders did. I replaced a set of 15 yr old  Washer/Dryer, and I hope these hold up just as well. But I love them, and they are in a nice Graphite Gray color.

Hey Coolbballer21 -

I know which ones you mean!  The cool thing about the Samsung is the SilverCare in the washer which saves you $$$ due to not having to use hot water all the time!

I love that pair. I was so torn when I bought my units. I ended up going with Seimens, which is a sister company of Bosch.  I LOVE THEM!!!

Thanks for posting!

Dorothy

Community Connector

Best Buy® Corporate

Give Kudos if you like this post or Accept as Solution if it answers your query!
Recognized Member

I have heard good things about Siemens, I opted for the Sammy's mostly because my wife loved the color Smiley Very Happy (I was the one who wanted a new washer and dryer, so I didn't care to let her pick the color). 

Its always nice to save money for not having to use all that hotwater, but I did just put a new Tankless Water heater in, I mounted it on the wall of my basement(its like 2ft x 3ft unit) a Rinnai(sp?) and puts out 300gal hot water/hr.....its sweet....I hated waking up in the morning and having a cold shower....grr...

glad you love your units, the front loaders are just so much nicer, you can get more things in them and the savings with detergant(using less..., and less H2O). 

My wifes parents just got a new set of top loaders(Fisher and Paykal) and they wished they went with front loaders....

Hey Coolbballer21 -

Tell me a bit more about this tankless water heater thing?  My husband was rattling on about something recently (I think) of that nature, but I was cooking and did not pay much attention. 

I would sure like to know more!  Living in Minnesota, we have more warm water issues than I did in Florida, plus my girls love their long showers!!Smiley Sad

Recognized Member

Well your traditional water heater is this cylinder thing that is probably like 30-50gal that holds hot water, well in order to keep the water to its certain temperature it has to heat it over and over(so that when you use it - its not frigid) well a typical shower uses about 1.5ish gallons/min, so a half hour can easily deplete all your hot water, so that your shower ends up barely warm, to ice cold.....(I live in MI, I know cold as well)....

Well the Tankless Water heater is a much smaller unit that can be mounted on the wall, and as you need water heats it(with a much hotter heating unit than your normal water heater) so basically hot water is "on demand". My unit is rated to run three items, say washing maching, dishwasher, and shower at once and you won't run out of hot water(very nice!). They have been out in Europe for like 20yrs, and have become immensely popular in the states in the last year so costs on the units have come down quite a bit.

Since it only heats water when its needed you will use less gas/electricity(as it does not have to reheat the water in a tank). This is my first year with my water heater but my natural gas bill has gone down by $40/month, well the tankless water heater cost about $800(my insurance company paid most of it because I had a flood in the basement that killed my furnace and water heater, so that helped). So I talked my wife into doing the tankless heater(she didn't really care as long as she did not have to take cold showers...) and the added bonus of it paying for itself in less than 1.5yrs....

Look into it Dorothy, if for nothign else....hot showers, Brr.....its cold in MN Smiley Happy

Highlighted

That is awesome, I will have to look into it.  I think we might even get some sort of rebate from our power company for upgrading to this.

Yay!