Add Product

Search Results:

Recognized Member
thomasr1950

internet ready tv vs smart tv

I'm confused on all the new tv's out now. I'm looking to buy a Sony 40-46" tv. What is the difference between internet ready & smart tv's. Some say wifi/internet ready etc, & have to have an adapter. Then there is Google tv. All seem  to say streaming on line & some some they have  a browser for the internet. This is confusing, what i've read on line is the staff in the retail stores don't really know. Sony's web site is confusing. I don't want to purchase a tv thinking i can get on the web to find out all i can get is movies. I can get that without a new tv. Can someone make this simple?

Thanks,

Thomas

Please use plain text.
Contributor
DarkWingDUCK

Re: internet ready tv vs smart tv

Dwallace, thanks for trolling this forum.  The difference isnt much between a "Smart TV" or an "internet connectible TV", Samsung just patented the name Smart TV to make it seem different.  Samsung does have the most apps though, so they do have some bragging rights.  However, do not plan on surfing the internet on these TVs, as most do not have a functional web browser.  Apps on a TV are nice though, contrary to Dwallace's unhelpful comments.  I use three apps on my TV that I find valuable such as Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Pandora radio.

If you like posts that I make, be sure to click on the star underneath my name. Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Trusted Member
hereisjenna

They are the same thing. I don't think Samsung' has the term "smart tv" patented though. LG calls their internet-capability for their TVs "Smart TV". 

Deshawn, smart TV isnt all that bad. Depending on where you live, the apps you get are actually pretty good. Netflix for one, hulu, and I'm sure you like basketball. The nba apps works really good on it. (I have an LG smart TV) I havent tried the Sammy one yet.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Member
hereisjenna

No problem Deshawn. Let me give u some advice though. when you post on these forums make sure you have legitimate arguments rather than short opinions without any back up. I believe almost any HDTV you can purchase nowadays have the smart TV feature. If not, the feature should be listed in the specs of the TV.

Please use plain text.
Recognized Member
thomasr1950

All the replies helped. The way all ads are worded you have a web browser on the tv's.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
DarkWingDUCK

You're right Hereisjenna.  I meant to say Samsung has the liscence to the name "SmartHUB", also I think you owe me a picture of you at PAX lol.  BTW, off topic, but why isn't Battlefield 3 compatible with 3D when you said it would be while you were on the development team?  I was looking forward to my copy being 3D compatible.

If you like posts that I make, be sure to click on the star underneath my name. Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Trusted Member
hereisjenna

Deshawn, all you have to do is click on your name and your profile says all :smileyhappy:.

Darkwing, there has been some problems with the development, as with all games you should know. 3D will be available on it, most likely a firmware update in a couple months.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Bob_A

Re: internet ready tv vs smart TV

I have to agree with Dwallace4sho -

Internet ready TV is nothing more than an over hyped marketing gimmick.

I have a 46" Sony Bravia LED  Internet TV with all of the Bells and Whistles, including many apps for Netflix, etc. The TV also serves as my monitor for my Desktop PC.

There isn't anything that the TVs internet apps can do. That the PC doesn't do better, faster, and easier. And since I have a PC anyway, and am using the large TV screen as my monitor anyway, There simply isn't any advantage to bothering with the TVs apps.

I am very satisfied (delighted actually) with the way that the TV functions as a traditional TV. But the part of the TVs price that went towards paying for the Internet connectivity. Is a complete and total waste of money.

Please use plain text.
Recognized Member
AgentM

'Internet ready' or anything 'ready' suggests you will need something additional to access the functions before the word 'ready' (cable ready, HD ready, internet ready, etc.) The primary difference between a 'Smart TV' and an "internet ready" TV, as suggested, is APPS. The purpose is to be able to use the TV , for things like watching videos, listening to music, viewing photos, independently from your computer (just like a mobile device). Google TV does allow you to 'surf the net' like your computer. There is also no memory storage built in to either type of TV, so depending on what you want to primarily use it for, you need to make sure you have a fast, reliable internet connection to do things like stream video (minimum of 1.5mbs continuous speed) to avoid constant freezing and 'buffering'. There are lots of good answers here:
http://code.google.com/tv/faq.html
-Agent M
www.facebook.com/geeksquadrecon
www.twitter.com/geeksquadrecon
Please use plain text.