Add Product

Search Results:

tasha7407
Accepted Solution

digital converter for smart tv?

I want to cancel my direct tv since i have a smart tv that basically hasall the channels/movies I need already on my tv. do i need a digital converter to watch my local channels since that is the only thing i will be missing. any help  would be greatly appreciated!!!

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
NoNoBadDog

Re: digital converter for smart tv?

Your smart tv *may* already have a QAM tuner in it that will allow you to receive any unencrypted OTA HD signals available.  If so, you will need a good digital antenna. 

If not, you will need a converter box or a cable box.  The former won't offer you much...just what is available OTA, the latter is better because you can get a package that suits your needs.

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
xl

I recommend you get the digital antenna and test it out before cancelling your Direct/Smart TV.

ATSC antennas are not expensive.... HOWEVER reception quality is unpredictable.  Get an antenna (amplified is best) and see how practical it is for you.

• Do you have enough channels?
  • How's the reception quality?
  • Does your antenna need to be in the window to work properly?
  • Does the window need a clear line of sight to the local broadcast towers?
  • Are your local stations broadcasting from different directions?  Do you want an antenna for each window?  Do you want to drill homes in a heritage home for an outdoor antenna?
  • Do you live in a strata that may ban having an antenna in a window?

I love my ATSC antenna for my second TV.... but it does have limitations.

Please use plain text.
jrm01

xl wrote:

I recommend you get the digital antenna and test it out before cancelling your Direct/Smart TV.

ATSC antennas are not expensive.... HOWEVER reception quality is unpredictable.  Get an antenna (amplified is best) and see how practical it is for you.

• Do you have enough channels?
  • How's the reception quality?
  • Does your antenna need to be in the window to work properly?
  • Does the window need a clear line of sight to the local broadcast towers?
  • Are your local stations broadcasting from different directions?  Do you want an antenna for each window?  Do you want to drill homes in a heritage home for an outdoor antenna?
  • Do you live in a strata that may ban having an antenna in a window?

I love my ATSC antenna for my second TV.... but it does have limitations.

These are excellant suggestions, except the final one.  The FCC passed regulations several years ago that forbid anyone from prohibiting antennas in windows or on decks.  They can only be prohibited in common areas.

Please use plain text.
Recognized Member
AgentM

No converter needed. If you have a smart TV, it already has a digital tuner. As suggested all you will likely need is and antenna, your local store being familiar with your area would be the best place to start.
-Agent M
I do currently work for Best Buy but my opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect Best Buy policy.
www.facebook.com/geeksquadrecon
www.twitter.com/geeksquadrecon
Please use plain text.