Add Product

Search Results:

Chicago-48

Which TV Antenna should I get for the LCD TV

I have an Insignia LCD-TV, NS LCD19, Ditital ATSC tuner.  Also have a RS TV indoor antenna, but the TV screen freezes and stalls.  I think it's the antenna.  What antenna is compatible with the LCD-TV?  Seeking recommendations.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Entropy

Re: Which TV Antenna should I get for the LCD TV

Chicago-48 wrote:

I have an Insignia LCD-TV, NS LCD19, Ditital ATSC tuner.  Also have a RS TV indoor antenna, but the TV screen freezes and stalls.  I think it's the antenna.  What antenna is compatible with the LCD-TV?  Seeking recommendations.

Any antenna that covers the frequencies used by your local TV stations is compatible, which basically means any antenna ever made.  The DTV frequencies are a subset of the old analog TV frequencies.  Pretty much every "digital" antenna on the market is a classic design from the pre-digital days with the word "digital" slapped on it for marketing purposes.  Even worse are the "1080p ready" antennas - not a single OTA broadcaster in the United States broadcasts a 1080p signal to my knowledge, and even if they did, the antenna would make no difference.  ATSC is always a 6 MHz channel (same channel width and same frequencies as NTSC, it was a fundamental design requirement of ATSC).

However, the minimum required SNR for a watchable signal went up between analog (NTSC) and digital (ATSC).  Officially it didn't change, but the official "minimum watchable" threshold used for coverage calculations was WAY higher than the actual minimum watchable threshold for analog.  (My parents' home was WAY below the official threshold but still quite watchable.)

Also, ATSC is far more sensitive to multipath than NTSC is.  (multipath is murder on ATSC signals, it only causes "ghosting" for NTSC signals)

This means that if you didn't have a good antenna for analog, you do need a better one (higher gain/directionality) for digital.  http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx has an excellent antenna selector.  Nearly any antenna on the market is labeled using their color coding system.

For antenna brands, I would recommend:

Antennas Direct's "in-house" brand

Channel Master

Winegard

I'd recommend the same three for preamplifiers if you need them.

I'm not a big fan of integrated amplifier/antenna packages - 90% of them have a bad antenna design and a preamp with a high (or unpublished likely because it's high) noise figure - lower is better for NF.

Unfortunately, Best Buy only carries a lot of the inferior/crummy brands like RCA (The only good unit they've made recently was the Silver Sensor UHF log periodic) and Terk.  (Terk used to make good antennas, but they haven't made a good unit in a long time.)

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.
Please use plain text.
Chicago-48

Re: Which TV Antenna should I get for the LCD TV-update and followup

Hi all, I'm still accepting recos for antennas for the Insignia.

Product:  Insignia NS-LCD19 19" LCD TV

Bought: 2008

Current antenna:  RCA DRC285

The picture freezes.  I'll be watching a tv show and the screen freezes and then it plays and then it freezes.  Name brand recommendations for antennas?

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Entropy

Read my post, and at the very least, go to the Antennaweb link above, put in your information, and tell me what the CEA antenna class recommendations (that color coding thing) are for your local TV stations.

It is not possible to give you antenna recommendations without more information about your location.  Some people only need small upgrades, others have no choice but a large roofmount directional with a preamplifier.

I already gave you a recommendation of three well respected brands to look at, as stated above, which models within these brands are appropriate for you highly depends on your local geography and distance from the TV stations.

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.
Please use plain text.
Chicago-48

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Stations.aspx

^ Results

I have no idea what this means.

Please use plain text.
Chicago-48

Antennas Direct recommended - Clear Stream Micron Indoor Long-range Digital TV Antenna

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Entropy

Chicago-48 wrote:

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Stations.aspx

^ Results

I have no idea what this means.

Unfortunately, when you link the results that way, the information isn't there and just brings you back to the search method.

What might be useful to give you a general estimate (without taking into detail specific geography issues such as obstructions):

City and state (please don't put your complete address due to privacy concerns)

Basic details about your reception environment - House, apartment?  Multistory or single-story?  Is an outdoor roofmount antenna an option?  If apartment or indoor antenna, can it be located on a side of the building facing the TV stations?  (The Antennaweb search should tell you what direction your TV stations are.)

------------------
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
SlimJim77

Here's a few models sold at Best Buy that I like.

In-door quick and easy...

Small form factor, good preformance

If you've got room outdoors...

this is worth a look, but needs cables and potential signal amplifiers

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disclosure: Former BBY employee.
Please use plain text.
Chicago-48

I live in an apartment building.  4th floor.  Front view facing the street.  I took my RCA antenna and put it closer to the window, maybe that will help.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Entropy

SlimJim77 wrote:

Here's a few models sold at Best Buy that I like.

In-door quick and easy...

Small form factor, good preformance

If you've got room outdoors...

this is worth a look, but needs cables and potential signal amplifiers

Sweet!  Best Buy finally is carrying a decent antenna brand.  The Antennas Direct DB4 is a very well regarded antenna, but it may be difficult to use it within an apartment building.

------------------
Please use plain text.