Add Product

Search Results:

flamanar

Tube TV + Blu-Ray player??

I have a tube tv, but want to upgrade to a blu-ray player from my current dvd player.  Is this possible??  I don't have the money right now for a hi-def TV.  But if I can upgrade the player, it's a start.  Anyone? 

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
RedWyv3
Topics: 292
Kudos: 195
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 80

Re: Tube TV + Blu-Ray player??

Welcome to the board,  Flamanar!

Yes, it's entirely possible to hook up a Blueray player to your existing tube television. In example, our 

Insignia™ - Internet Connectable / Wi-Fi Built-in Blu-ray Disc Player features both an HDMI output for panel TV's and also composite and component cables for use with tube TV's! 

This is definitely a worthwhile investment. While you will not be able to see the stunning high definition that blueray offers immediately, you can begin to build your system and start collecting blueray movies. In addition, this model will connect to the internet using your existing wireless network and be able to stream Netflix, as well as other features. This is all available right now!

The model I've mentioned is available in most of the Best Buy stores, so you can pick one up today. Or you can choose the convenience of ordering online and having it shipped directly to your home.

If you need any more clarification or have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

s.gifI am a Bestbuy employee who volunteers on these boards on my own time. I am not paid for posting here, and you should understand that my opinions are exactly that - opinions. I do not represent Bestbuy in any way.
: Open Mailbox
Please use plain text.
flamanar

Thanks alot for that info!  I'll check it out right away :smileyhappy:

Flamanar

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Entropy

I don't think there is really a point to getting a Blu-Ray player if you only have a classic standard definition TV.  Even the resolution of DVDs is higher (480p) than what standard composite-input tube TVs can display (480i).  (Unless you have one of those rare TVs that had component inputs and were capable of progressive scan despite being a tube TV.)

If you can't afford $300 for a new TV, then $150 for a Blu-Ray player that is going to provide zero quality improvement and has significantly more expensive content is a massive waste of money.

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.
Please use plain text.
RedWyv3
Topics: 292
Kudos: 195
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 80

.. unless you're seeking additional content such as Netflix, and are holding off so you can purchase the TV you want, rather then the TV you can afford! :smileyhappy:

s.gifI am a Bestbuy employee who volunteers on these boards on my own time. I am not paid for posting here, and you should understand that my opinions are exactly that - opinions. I do not represent Bestbuy in any way.
: Open Mailbox
Please use plain text.
buam001

Seems to me that if you're in need of a new movie player, buying anything other than a Blu-ray would be a worthless investment, regardless of what kind of TV you have.  Bl-ray can play DVDs, and it seems inevitable that DVDs will obsolete in just a few years.  It isn't as if you're going to get a worse experience with a Blu-ray sans HD.  At worst, it's a lateral move, and it sets you up for that moment in time when you do buy the HDTV.  With holiday prices, it would seem to be the perfect time to buy!

Please use plain text.