Add Product

Search Results:

robinbwe

Transporting plasma tv

I just picked up a Samsung 42" plasma TV and when the employee put it in the car, he told me to put it upright as soon as I got home.  It had to be flat to fit in the car.  Will this cause a problem?

Please use plain text.
tlarson49

Re: Transporting plasma tv

I don't know if you've opened the box yet. Be careful since Best Buy will not accept returns of damaged goods. My daughter just bought a 50" plasma there and I helped her take it home. We received the same advice and when we got it home to set it up, the screen was cracked. Now they are telling her that they may not take it back. How would you feel if you spent that much money on a tv and ended up with nothIng but grief?
Please use plain text.
robinbwe

Not very pleased, that's for sure.  I haven't opened it yet.  It is a birthday present for my husband and won't be opened till Saturday.  I have emailed Best Buy and I'm waiting on a reply.  I hope your daughter is able to resolve her problem!

Please use plain text.
tlarson49

My daughter just called.  She returned the TV to Best Buy and they couldn't have been more accomodating.  She had been reading blogs all day long about how horrible Best Buy is regarding returns, so she was stressed.  They didn't have the same TV in stock so they gave them another one that was actually better.  They are also going to deliver it to her apartment and waive the delivery charge.  What a relief.  Hope your husband enjoys his great gift!

Please use plain text.
Neihn
Topics: 40
Kudos: 220
Solutions: 133

Generally you never want to lay a flat screen TV down flat. Its ok to lay it flat for a few minutes on a padded surface to mount the base but it should never be laid down for a extended period of time specially when transporting it and laid especially face down. The weight of the screen itself and the jarring of the drive can shatter the glass panel.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Entropy

For whatever reason (and who knows, the reasons may have been wrong), the guidance I always heard was that transporting plasmas flat was bad, but transporting LCDs flat was usually OK.

Most LCDs are packaged with a good amount of protection in the box.

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.
Please use plain text.
Neihn
Topics: 40
Kudos: 220
Solutions: 133

It can still be dangerous for LCD if the screen is facing down. Facing up its not as high of risk. But I would never ship a or transport a a flat screen TV laying down just as a precaution to start with.
Please use plain text.
mstng87gt
Topics: 61
Kudos: 67
Solutions: 33

I thought the same thing about plasma's as Entropy.  I know with  my 52" Samsung LCD the manual states to lay it flat    to take off the base.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
SlimJim77

Entropy wrote:

For whatever reason (and who knows, the reasons may have been wrong), the guidance I always heard was that transporting plasmas flat was bad, but transporting LCDs flat was usually OK.

Most LCDs are packaged with a good amount of protection in the box.

It is better to transport both upright, but not for the reasons most people think. Gas isn't going to  get angry, and liquid isn't gonna leak. It is a recommendation only because if you hit a bump in the road, the screen will be less likely to buckle and shatter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disclosure: Former BBY employee.
Please use plain text.
mstng87gt
Topics: 61
Kudos: 67
Solutions: 33

LOL sorry Slim the "The gas isn't going to get angry" comment made me laugh and I needed that today.

Please use plain text.