Add Product

Search Results:

lonzom10

Samsung LCD TV... Need a good Digital Antenna?

I have a 46" Samsung LCD HDTV (Model #LN46C670).  We just purchased an RCA Multi-Directional Amplified Digital Flat Antenna to try and pick up our local channels over the air. I followed the installation instructions to the letter and made sure the settings on the TV were correct but we were still unable to pick up any channels. Anyone else had any luck with digital antennas? What are some of the brands/models you have successfully used with this TV or one like it?  Thanks in advance for your help!

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
NoNoBadDog

Re: Samsung LCD TV... Need a good Digital Antenna?

Are you sure that digital OTA signals are accessible at your location?  You may live in a location where you cannot "see" any signals that are broadcast in your vicinity. 

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!
Please use plain text.
lonzom10

Yes, I have verified there are at least 7 stations in my area that I should be receiving.  http://www.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/maps/

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
NoNoBadDog

"Should be" and actually receiving are two different things altogether.  Digital signals are basically line of sight.  You may very well be in a location where the signals are too weak to be used.

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!
Please use plain text.
lonzom10

Understood... all thing are releative.  :smileyhappy:  So I guess my first question would be... Is there a way to know for sure whether or not signals are available at my address?  If not, what would be the best internal Antenna to use for testing this?  An then of course there is my original question... What digital antennas have others used with this specific TV and had success?

Please use plain text.
daughtera9

While digital is still a bit fickle from time to time (for reasons that I still can't explain), it's true that your neighbor may get reception and you wouldn't.  Nevertheless, I've used the following antenna in areas of questionable reception and had pretty good luck with it.  The design is nice, as well, so much like the one you currently have, there are multiple placement options. 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Terk+-+Omnidirectional+Amplified+Indoor+Digital+HDTV+Antenna/9415171.p?i...

I'd say try that.  I used to recommend that one a lot when the transition first took effect.  If that doesn't improve your situation, I'd say exchange it for an outdoor one (there are several simple, low profile ones and you have 30 days for any returns or exchanges on these, even if they're open) and see if that helps.  If that still doesn't help, you may be in a situation where you're unable to receive channels.

-----

While I do work for Best Buy, all comments, suggestions, and opinions are my own. 

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Entropy

lonzom10 wrote:

Understood... all thing are releative.  :smileyhappy:  So I guess my first question would be... Is there a way to know for sure whether or not signals are available at my address?  If not, what would be the best internal Antenna to use for testing this?  An then of course there is my original question... What digital antennas have others used with this specific TV and had success?

There is no difference between a digital antenna and an oldschool analog one whatsoever.  It's all marketing BS.  The ONLY change to antenna requirements with the digital transition was that antennas no longer need to cover the old 700 MHz TV band - but the performance gains obtainable for redesigning an antenna to not cover those bands any more is so negligible that no one has done it to my knowledge.

http://www.antennaweb.org/ - You can put your address in here and determine what size class of antenna you need.  Also, don't bother with RCA antennas, they're crud.  Similarly, nearly all antennas with built-in preamps are crud.  I haven't seen a single one that published noise figure specifications for their preamp, which says they have something to hide.  In most cases they don't even publish specs for the gain of the antenna itself.

Note that the above site can sometimes be inaccurate if you have oddities in your local terrain.  Also, if your antenna is indoors, the construction (materials, etc) of your home are important as is whether the antenna is on the side of the house facing the TV stations.

http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/t5/TV-Home-Theater/Which-TV-Antenna-should-I-get-for-the-LCD-TV/td-p/1... - Read my posts here, quite a lot of information about respected brands and specifications to look for.

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.
Please use plain text.