Add Product

Search Results:

kman

Optimal Height for 60 inch TV

I was wondering how high from the floor should a 60 inch TV be located. I am thinking that above the fireplace mantel of 5 feet is too high. Also what kind of TV would be best as their are two windows on either side of the TV.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
DarkWingDUCK

Re: Optimal Height for 60 inch TV

the type of TV i would probably recommend the new Sony EX500 or EX700 series since they both have a matte finish that would cut out much of the glare from the two windows on either side.  And as far and too high I think over the fire place would be a good spot actually, as long as you are not straining your neck to watch TV it should do just fine, just be sure to buy a tilting wall mount so that you get the best angle when viewing the TV.  I would also recommend buying the wireless USB dongle for the EX700 since it is internet ready, that way it will be able to use the internet apps wirelessly, which some initially dont care for but trust me when I say you will learn to LOVE the apps.

If you like posts that I make, be sure to click on the star underneath my name. Thanks!
Please use plain text.
kman

Thanks very much for your excellent feedback!

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
NoNoBadDog

I would never recommend *ANY* Sony television. Since they ceased production of their own LCD and Plasma glass, they use the same glass as everyone else. They are overpriced, and their picture quality is certainly nothing to get excited about. But the real kicker comes when you need warranty support from Sony. Yeah, good luck with that!
If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
DarkWingDUCK

thanks for not answering the question at all or being of any help to the OP.  every brand has issues with lemons, defects, etc.  people that claim to never buy a certain brand again or demonize them are just ignorant.  its like going to a restaurant and not liking the place based on the first dish that you did not like.  helpful opinions and advice are valued on this forum, ignorance is not valued and therefore should endlessly be mocked :smileyhappy:

If you like posts that I make, be sure to click on the star underneath my name. Thanks!
Please use plain text.
mstng87gt
Topics: 61
Kudos: 67
Solutions: 33

Optimal Height is Eye level.  But unfortunately that is not always possible.

Please use plain text.
JohnCA

This is a very interesting question, and one that my wife and I discussed at great length.

I believe doctors would recommend that the center of the screen, not the bottom, should be at eye level when in the normal viewing position. Our 58" plasma TV used to be mounted on a "console" in the family room, with the bottom of the TV about 30" from the floor.

To me, in a sitting position, this was ideal. However, it took a lot of floor space, so my wife convinced me to move it to the wall above the fireplace. This was where the builder of the house obviously intended it to be, as there were coaxial and internet connections already on the wall.

As one of the contributors has said, I believe this is technically too high, but it is now the fashion, it saves a lot of floor space, and if, like mine, your wife is pushing for it you will eventually find you have no choice! :smileysad:

Since we moved the TV, I have not had neck problems, since all of us tend to lie slightly back when watching TV.

Please use plain text.
kman

Thanks very much for your reply. Since my initial post I have talked with our builder and they recommend having the "top" of the TV 60 inches above the floor and as such we are going to mount in on the wall adjacent to our fireplace because otherwise the top of the TV would be 80 - 90 inches above the floor and I agree with you that is the way that many new houses are built today with TV over the fire place.

Thanks again.

Please use plain text.