Add Product

Search Results:

geauxsaints99

Open box item

Hello:

Do you know if store managers would negotiate on an open box item?  Just wondering as I saw a product that I like, but its a little out of my price range.  Also, would any have any thoughts (good or bad) on buying an open box TV?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Community Veteran
Nokia

Re: Open box item

It's very unlikely that they would, but you could always ask.

It depends why it's open box. If it was a display model, no, because that means it's been on for around 12 hours per day, every day, at max brightness. That decreases its life. If it was just a return though, then maybe.

Please use plain text.
bigfoot2012

They can negotiate on an open box item. Ask why it is an open box item (floor display, return etc). It will still have the normal store warranty. I would only buy an open box item if it had a significant discount over the regular price. 

Please use plain text.
Community Veteran
Nokia

Discount on them is usually 10%, and 15% if it's missing things.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
AGENTG

Make sure that you have them take the TV out of the box in front of you and look it over. If you take it home yourself and find damage/defects later they may not take it back.

Please use plain text.
RebelOfMadness

Most open box items are customer returns and are very rarely a store demo. I have bought myself a few open box tvs and they work great. I also purchased the stores protection so if something did go wrong, I get a refund anyway and can use it to purchase something else if that time came. Best Buy has a 30 day exchange policy on tvs and most tvs are really returned due to size issues, the tv didn't look right in ones home so they brought it back to try something else. You might be able to talk price on open items, but stores can't go under their cost and usually open ticket tvs are already marked down 10% or 15% depending on the circumstance and if nothing is missing. 

Please note that whatever I state in these forums is not a direct response from Best Buy or Geek Squad. My posts are just my own personal insights.
Please use plain text.
Community Veteran
Nokia

Please note that the GSBTP plan for TVs does not allow for a refund if there is an issue with the TV.

Please use plain text.
RebelOfMadness

The GSBTP does infact insurure your purchase besides physical damage of course. Depending on the item, if the product became defective Best Buy has indeed used the dollar amount of my open item toward a like item or an upgrade. For example I had purchased a rear projection tv and since I had the protection and Best Buy claimed my TV a junk out, I was alble to upgrade to a LCD since rear projections are now nearly unheard of and not carried by Best Buy these days, I only paid a slight differance in the upgrade in which I didn't mind doing anyway. So it wasn't exactly a refund persay, but I was able to use a certain dollar amount from my old tv and applied it to the new tv.

Please note that whatever I state in these forums is not a direct response from Best Buy or Geek Squad. My posts are just my own personal insights.
Please use plain text.
Community Veteran
Nokia

A junk out is not common. I just don't want people getting the wrong idea about the GSBTP plan.

Please use plain text.
jaefox29

I just bought and open box 50"  Panasonic V10 plasma.  I did negotiate price, it never hurts to ask, the worst that can happen is you get a "no".  It was a display, so it had no base,  and of course no manual.  Listed for 2000, they offered 1700.  I said I would take it for 1600.  After a bit of waiting while they decided what to do, they said okay.  That was before they told me they couldn't find the remote for it, so they offered me a universal or to knock another 30 off the price.  I opted for the discount.  Downside....now I have to order the base and remote and manual from Panasonic which will take a week to get to me.  I'm thinking I should have negotiated 1500 for my inconvenience.   

In any event, negotiate away!!!  Don't take it until you are satisfied 100%. 

Please use plain text.