Add Product

Search Results:

chewy1414
Accepted Solution

Help Connecting Samsung Smart TV with Surround + Other Devices

Hi,

I'm a pretty tech savvy person but am having trouble connecting all my compnents together for a "perfectly functioning" home theater setup. I have a newly wall mounted 55" Samsung LED (6300) Smart TV, a new Denon 5.1 Reciever (w/ 3 HDMI In, 1 Out), a cable box and XBox360.

Right now I have HDMI cables going into the receiver from the Cable Box and Xbox and I have 1 HDMI going Out from the the receiver to the TV. I thought this was the perfect setup until I just bought my new Samsung Smart TV. So now, when I try to use anything on the Smart TV Hub (Netflix, YouTube, Pandora, etc..), I'm not getting any sound to the Surround Speakers (only out of the TV speakers). I'm thinking a fiber optic cable from the TV to the receiver might do the trick but then I'm concerned I might get double sound (coming from the cable box and smart TV at the same time).

Was hoping someone can give me adivce on how to set everything up so I can use all my compnents correctly..

Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Swarley

Re: Help Connecting Samsung Smart TV with Surround + Other Devices

Im assuming you have speakers connected up as well?  Since your TV does not have audio return channel (ARC) support, you will need to send an optical cable back down to the receiver to get audio from your TV to your external speakers.  On the television, go into the audio settings and turn off the internal speakers (I beleive it has a toggle for internal or external speakers).  This will turn off the internal speakers.  Now all of your audio/video switching and volume control will be done through the receiver.

Please use plain text.
chewy1414

Yes - I have all the speakers connected.  Currently surround sound is working great from my Cable Box and XBox 360.. the only issue I'm having is the Smart Hub Apps (Netflix, YouTube, etc..).  I wasn't aware of the Optical setting on my receiver.. I'll try this out when I get home and let you know how it works out.

Does my setup sound like the most efficient way for all this?  I'm pretty new to the Smart TV world.. is it normal to need a different receiver setting to operate the smart hub apps?

Thanks a lot for your input - very helpful!

Please use plain text.
Swarley

Yes, your current setup is the most efficient for your TV AVR combination.  The TV itself should handle the smart hub apps just fine, but in order to get audio to your speakers, you need to send it back down to the receiver.  You'll just need to choose an input on your receiver for your TV's audio.  You need to assign it to that chosen input in the user menu.

Please use plain text.
chewy1414

Works perfect!  Thanks a lot, Swarley - really appreciate it.

Now I just need one of those Harmoney One Universal remotes to bring it all together.. 

Please use plain text.