Add Product

Search Results:

Navek101

HELP! Bad picture quality on plasma TV is driving me crazy!

I recently purchased a Samsung - 51" Class (50-3/4" Diag.) - Plasma - 1080p - 600Hz - HDTV. 
I was ecstatic to finally make my way into hd, because I am a huge gamer and wanted to flesh out the true picture quality of great new games being released lately. However, there is a problem with this TV. Primarily when gaming, there is this pixely white line that dots that outline of many objects and details on characters. It drives me nuts on games like Tekken Tag tournament 2. The sword, along with pieces of armor, as well as environmental objects have this awful white line that is similar to a "cut-here" line that you see on papers. I am using an xbox 360 and a ps3. The ps3 is hooked up by an hdmi cable, and the xbox is hooked up by the hd component cables. (the red blue and green ones) however, this awful effect occurs regardless of what system I am playing on, leading me to the conclusion that it is simply the TV itself. I have fiddled with the visual settings in the tv's menu, but have no clue what I should really be changing, and if it really affects the white halo effect I am having. Many forums have advised that I turn down the sharpness. I tried this, and the sharpness is at 10 now. Still, nothing has changed. I could set it to 0 and the problem would remain. 
So is there anything I can really do within the menus to change this? Or is it the companies fault and I should use my warranty to get a new one? (That would be a drag) Regardless, I would love it if someone could help me.

Please use plain text.
Neihn
Topics: 40
Kudos: 220
Solutions: 133

Re: HELP! Bad picture quality on plasma TV is driving me crazy!

Generally you either need to shut off the edge enhancement (Sharpness) or turn off the Motion Enhancement or a combination of them both.

Samsung plasmas though are VERY hit and miss. That is why I dont recommend them and many here suggest Panasonic. Just for future reference.
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
bobberuchi

The quality of your HDMI cabels can have a factor as well.

I have a plasma as well.  with Edge enhancement on or off I don't see what you are seeing. 

Not all HDMI cables are built the same.  I gurantee you that if you went and got the 3' Dynex cable for $4 and compare it to the Monster 700 HD cable for $50 you are going to see a dramatic difference.

However, I would try the edge enhancement option first as a fix.  Also adjust around your aspect ratio. 

Please use plain text.
Frequent Contributor
rwillen

bobberuchi wrote:

I have a plasma as well.  with Edge enhancement on or off I don't see what you are seeing. 

Not all HDMI cables are built the same.  I gurantee you that if you went and got the 3' Dynex cable for $4 and compare it to the Monster 700 HD cable for $50 you are going to see a dramatic difference.

However, I would try the edge enhancement option first as a fix.  Also adjust around your aspect ratio. 

No, you're not going to see any difference with a 3' cable. It'll either work or not. There are plenty of tests available online that show this. At 50' a better cable will make a difference, but you still don't need to go into Monster pricing territory to get a good 50' cable.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
bobberuchi

rwillen I hate to contratict you but you are not correct.

My local best buy even had a display up in their store with the same image going out via a cheap hdmi and a quality hdmi and the difference was dramatic.   Sorry I have not seen the tests online.  Only the physical display in a store.  Unless you are saying best buy rigged it that way so they could sell bettter cables.

rwillen wrote:

bobberuchi wrote:

No, you're not going to see any difference with a 3' cable. It'll either work or not. There are plenty of tests available online that show this. At 50' a better cable will make a difference, but you still don't need to go into Monster pricing territory to get a good 50' cable.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Contributor
rwillen

bobberuchi wrote:

rwillen I hate to contratict you but you are not correct.

My local best buy even had a display up in their store with the same image going out via a cheap hdmi and a quality hdmi and the difference was dramatic.   Sorry I have not seen the tests online.  Only the physical display in a store.  Unless you are saying best buy rigged it that way so they could sell bettter cables.

Those "Monster HDMI Difference" displays were caught using HDMI on one TV, and composite on the other at both Best Buy and Fry's. Whether or not BB or Fry's set the display up, or whether it was Monster that did, I don't know. Photos of the back of the displays are still available online.

Please use plain text.
Neihn

I am going to shout this!

THERE IS NO-ZERO-NADA-NOTHING DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A 3 dollar HDMI cable from the internet and a Monster Cable. For long runs and in wall yes. But other wise NO!

If you believe that store display you should check closer. My store had a display the same way you know what they did? They had 1 connected via HDMI and the other connected by COAXIL! And on another set they had one set to HD channel and one to the regular version of the channel! So yes stores are known to RIG THE DISPLAYS!
Please use plain text.
Neihn

Some articles for you to read:

PCMAG:

If you're like the vast majority of HDTV users and have a fairly simple setup that isn't spread across a large area, there is absolutely no reason to spend more than $10 on an HDMI cable, never mind more than $100 on one. Any possible benefit that could come from an over-engineered, overpriced HDMI cable simply won't show up in your home theater. If you're running a 4K projector, or have a 25-foot hallway between your Blu-ray player and HDTV, or want to show off how big your home theater budget is, that's one thing. If you just want to hook up your Blu-ray player, cable box, or video game system to your HDTV, bypass the big stores and big brands and reach into the Web bargain bin.

Tested:

As should be abundantly clear, expensive HDMI cables are simply not worth purchasing for normal use. In the case that you are running cable in a permanent fashion through walls or ceilings, it may be prudent to spend a little extra for heavier-duty cables for the sake of longevity, but if you’re spending extra on gold-plated connectors and the like, you are doing little more than embedding hard-earned cash in the walls of your home.

CNET:

If you walk into your typical electronics store to buy an HDMI cable, you're likely to see prices upward of $50 with promises of better performance and faster speeds. Do you really need to spend that much money on a single HDMI cable?

Absolutely not--those cables are a rip-off. You should never pay more than $10 for a standard six-foot HDMI cable. And despite what salesmen and manufacturers might tell you, there's no meaningful difference between the $10 cable and the $50 cable.

Popular Mechanics:

The Results

None of our editors could tell the difference. The fact is, HDMI is digital, meaning you either get the feed or you don't. High prices and gimmicks like gold-plating don't affect 1s and 0s. Our advice: Purchase your wiring online for cheap, and use the saved money to upgrade to a larger flat screen.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Jimmienomam

Neihn and rwillen are correct.

HDMI is digital, the ONLY difference in cables is what revision it was tested under and passed.

A 1.3 cable is guaranteed to work for HDMI revision 1.3 but most likely will also pass a 1.4a as a majority of HDMI changes are firmware on the sending/receiving side and not a change in cable. A 1.4a is guaranteed to work with HDMI 1.4a.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
hydrogenwv

Durability is another difference, but most cables just sit in one spot untouched, so durability isn't an issue. 

Looks like Monster got ya, bobberuchi... hook, line, and sinker. As others have stated, it's a digital connection, not analog. Either the 1s and 0s get there, or they don't. On a run less than about 20ft, the 1s and 0s will get there on a cheap cable just as well as an expensive one. 

With HDMI, you either get all the data or, if your run is too long (etc), you get digital artifacting (and ONLY digital artifacting). Unless you see digital artifacting, you are getting the same exact set of 1s and 0s. 

Please use plain text.