Add Product

Search Results:

spjon25

Full Array LED w/ Local Dimming carried by Best Buy?

Quick question, which 46-47 in. Full Array LED  TV's with local dimming are carried by Best Buy? It seems deceptive that they do not list this on their website clearly. I almost purchased a Samsung which a Magnolia representative said was Full Array w/ local dimming, but wisely chose not too (and later found out that both he and his manager were wrong and just trying to make a sale). Also, why are not more of these TV's sold because the picture quality is superb compared to edge lit LED

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Jimmienomam

Re: Full Array LED w/ Local Dimming carried by Best Buy?

Because the price point is about $800-$2,000 more for a comprable edge lit.

We still are in a recession and 95%+ of people probably could not tell the difference of a properly calibrated edge lit and a properly calibrated local dimming. Key word is calibrated.

Few realize what a proper calibration does. I have a calibrated 50ST30 that is close to a VT30 OOB. Which is a tv that has a $1,000 larger price tag (difference has been closing a lot now though). Calibration cost $150. Granted if the VT30 is calibrated it will be much better than mine, but once you hit a certain quality very few can tell the difference unless looking closely for it.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Jimmienomam

At work will look up TVs BBY stock when I get some time and check
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
NoNoBadDog

With *ALL* broadcast sources, and more than 50% of blu-ray discs available, you will *NOT* tell the difference between a properly calibrated edge lit LED LCD and a Full Array/Local dimming one.  That is because they are all compressed sources,,,but with the blu-ray, the black levels are that same as the film transfer, which is to say not very black at all. 

I agree that 99% cannot tell the difference in a blind test (no pun intended). 

The huge price difference, and the fact that it is far more likely to have LED loss on a full array model, and I woudl think long and hard before deciding which way to go. 

If it were my choice, I would go with an edge lit, and use the price difference for other things....cables, movies, maybe a better amp...

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!
Please use plain text.
spjon25

From my experience, I have a bright room that I have previously had an edge lit LED and I could see the excessive light around the sides. I uickly returned the TV and went back to my old LCD in the room. I have seen an edge lit fully calibrated, and it did look good, but I have seen the Full Array w/ local dimming calibrated and it looks insane. (This was on the 55 in Vizio XVT line)

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
NoNoBadDog

Did you read my post?

Properly calibrated, there should be very little difference between the two. Uncompressed source material is the only thing that should make a difference, and such is very rare indeed.

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!
Please use plain text.
NickJ_86

spjon25,

The only full-array backlit LED TV sold through Best Buy and in the size you specified, that I can positively confirm at all is the Sony 46" XBR model 46HX929.  The other reason for full-array not being widely sold anymore is because of the "clouding" effect where areas of light bleed by contrast into the surrounding dark areas.  While their black levels are superb, this effect is a trade-off by nature and a properly ISF-calibrated edge-lit can give you a frightfully close reproduction of the quality of a full-array unit.  LG left the full-array market after discontinuing their LE8500 series, the Last Unicorn so to speak.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Jimmienomam

That being said the hx929 series is truly a beast this year, but it comes at a high premium. Also most TVs you see in show rooms are set to torch mode (or in other words a very high contrast and brightness), because the lighting in show rooms is horrible. This does not accurately portray what a TV can do.

But if you have the money, you will not be disappointed with the Sony linked above
Please use plain text.