Add Product

Search Results:

kac2429

Difference between 120Hz and 240 Hz in an LCD HDTV?

Hi,

Looking to replace a 42" Sharp Aquos LCD TV that our 8 yr old son broke tonight with a flying Wii remote.  LOVED that TV and had a fantastic picture on it.  Now I am seeing 120 Hz vs 240Hz but not sure what the means.  I have read it has to do with the refresh rate, but I don't know what that is.  Can anyone help me?  Also, I am reading a lot about Vizio being the best brand out there.  Any truth in that?  Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
starhelper2587

Re: Difference between 120Hz and 240 Hz in an LCD HDTV?

I would agree with your statement on Vizio.  I'm sure there will be people jumping on this thread saying Vizio is a crap brand, but I would disagree.  Where I live, many of the TVs in bars and restaurants are actually Vizios.  I got a Wal-M#rt brand TV and it's been great for the 2 years I've owned it so far.  From what I understand about the 120 Hz vs. 240 Hz, getting a tv w/ the latter wouldn't really matter.  To me, it would be like buying a 7.1 surround sound system right now.  Currently, not many tv broadcasts or movies are even available in 7.1 surround sound.  Same concept for the Hz - as far as I know, one of the only components made currently that can even utilize 240 Hz is a blu-ray player so it's kind of like the 7.1 sound systems - ahead of the rest of the technology.  All in my opinion of course :smileyhappy:

Nothing I post is an official statment of Best Buy or Geek Squad, it is only a helpful opinion!
Please use plain text.
kac2429

thanks for the help!  Trying to hunt down the best price now...such a chore!

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
starhelper2587

We only paid $597 for our 42'' Polaroid LCD 1080p TV but that was on black friday of course =]  Honestly though, the price of the Vizio at Wal-M*rt is still very reasonable ... where I live the 42'' is now $697ish I believe.

Nothing I post is an official statment of Best Buy or Geek Squad, it is only a helpful opinion!
Please use plain text.
Recognized Member
consagra

I agree that 120Hz is sufficient.  A family member of mine has a Sony XBR9 46" LCD.  When we switch the settings, we can easily tell a big difference in motion blur between 60Hz and 120Hz on the sports ticker.  The improvement going from 120Hz to 240Hz was negligible and not worth the extra money in my opinion.  I do, however, think that getting a 120Hz is worth it over the 60Hz.  But my eyes easily pick up motion blur.  I actually own a plasma because of this.

Please use plain text.
Bum_Cookie

Vizio is comming out with 480Hz LCDs soon, apparently the higher refresh LCDs could potentially handle the 3DTV wave where as the 60Hz sets can't. 

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Entropy

True 120Hz is all you need for 3DTV.

Sadly, most of the 120Hz and even the 240Hz TVs only accept 60Hz inputs, higher refresh rates are ONLY achieved via internal motion compensation/interpolation mechanisms!  (Look at the list of 120Hz+ TVs, then look at NVidia's 3D Vision compatibility list...)

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.
Please use plain text.