Add Product

Search Results:

asd123

Built-in Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi ready?

I want to get a Blu-Ray player for my dad for father's day and have narrowed it down to a couple. Just wasn't sure what the difference, if there is one, between built-in wi-fi and wi-fi ready. Can someone please help? Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
SlimJim77

Re: Built-in Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi ready?

More advanced bluray machines will feature internet connectivity. If your dad has a wireless network setup at home, he will be able to take advantage of a wireless equipped unit.

Wireless ready simply means there will be an additional piece of equipment to buy to enable the wifi connectivity.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disclosure: Former BBY employee.
Please use plain text.
akcs03

my opinion is to not spend money on the WIFI built in. If you can buy the standard non wifi and run an ethernet line from a router. That's just me.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
TheLexMachine

asd123 wrote:

I want to get a Blu-Ray player for my dad for father's day and have narrowed it down to a couple. Just wasn't sure what the difference, if there is one, between built-in wi-fi and wi-fi ready. Can someone please help? Thanks.

Wi-fi ready means you have to buy a separate USB adapter to get wireless capability. That will run you around 80 bucks on average if you are going through retail channels and you can't just use any USB wireless adapter which is why the cost is high because you have to buy the one offered by the hardware manufacturer (Sony, Samsung, LG, whatever). A player with built-in wireless is self-explanatory and will cost less than buying a wi-fi ready player and USB adapter. The big problem with wireless Blu-Ray players (regardless of what kind you get) is that they don't always work well or at all depending on the wireless router you are using and the encryption of your network. The newer the router, the more likely it is to work well with your Blu-Ray player.

Please use plain text.
GSI
GSI

the fact that the wireless router may be a weak link is a good thing to point out. I have had the best luck by using a blu-ray that is wireless ready and eaither using an ethernet cord to connect it directly to the router, or using an ethernet-over-powerline kit to connect it to the internet.

Please use plain text.
Theater_Guru

I strongly recommend you get a Blu-Ray player with the WiFi built in if  your wireless router and modem are nowhere near your TV. The wireless allows your to get internet connectivity anywhere. I have three blu-ray players now and the first one I bought was WiFi capable but not WiFi ready. When I moved my plasma to the living room I had a 50 ft. Ethernet cable running from my office to living room so I could watch my netflix and youtube out there. They do make Wireless adaptors that you can later add to your WiFi ready player, but the cost of these adaptors start at $79.99 which is the same if not more money that the ones with it already build in. Save the money and the trip and get one with it in there! As someone posted above that the internet is a added feature to some blu-rays, it is actually standard in all of them because the player has to update its Firmware via the internet. So one way or another you need it hooked up. Hope I helped out!

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
NoNoBadDog

Wi-fi built in means that it already has a wireless adapter built in. Wi-fi ready means that you must purchase an optional dongle to add wi-fi to the unit., Wi-fi ready units *DO NOT* have wi-fi capability out of the box.
If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!
Please use plain text.