Add Product

Search Results:

Bose 901 speakers and AV receivers

I am looking for a new AV receiver to use with my Bose 901 speakers in a surround sound setup. I need to find one that has pre amp out and main amp in connections. This is the only way Bose says it would work using conventional speakers for the surround channels.

Valued Member

Re: Bose 901 speakers and AV receivers

Bose is great at marketing an bringing out over-priced, poor performing  products which limits the users capability.  Ever wonder why you can't compare their speakers side-by-side to all the other speakers in the store?

My personal opinion aside...

To find such a receiver, you will have to look at the specifications to see if the products contains the appropriate connections.  I would check out Denon, Outlaw, and if you are serious about sound quality, then the high-end starts with Rotel.

I would be cautious since plugging their "equalizer" into the pre-out, main-in jacks will "equalize" the sound for all channels.  If you are just using the 901's for the front main LR channels, then I would think you would would want only those channels to be "equalized".  All non-Bose speakers may not sound correct receiving an "equalized" signal.  I am not 100% sure about this, but feel that I am close to being right.

I am not aware of a receiver or processor that allows for an external unit to be inserted into a loop for just a couple channels.   The only way to do that would be to have a separate surround processor and amplifier.  Then you could insert the "equalizer" between the output of the surround processor and the input to the amplifier.

Just what does that "equalizer" do?  Why don't all other speaker manufacturers use one?  Does it improve the sound or degrade it?  Remember, every piece of equipment in the sound chain between the source and speaker can only degrade the quality of sound.  If Bose has not used the best of components in their "equalizer", then your sound quality will suffer.

My last piece of advice is to move away from Bose in the future.  For the same amount of money, I would recommend B&W, Paradigm, NHT, or PSB.  You will get much higher performance and not be limited by Bose.

It is good that you are concerned about sound quality as the 901's are not cheap and I commend you for that.  Check out www.hometheatermag.com to see which products make the cut and which ones don't.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do not work for Best Buy and am not affiliated with them in any way. I like HT and want to help people improve their HT experience. "There is a LOT more than just having a TV to make a home theater"
Topics: 64
Kudos: 69
Solutions: 33

I also recommend Boston Acoustics, Definitive Technology, and Axiom.

Give Kudos if you like this post or Accept as Solution if it answers your query!
Topics: 64
Kudos: 69
Solutions: 33

Definitive's older speakers.  I haven't heard the new ones yet.

Give Kudos if you like this post or Accept as Solution if it answers your query!

Hello, would someone help me which receiver to setup with Bose 901 & EQ.  I plan to buy Pioneer Elite sc-35.  If I buy this model, is it ok?  Please help

I plan to buy Integra DTR-7.9.  Is it fine for my bose 901?

Thanks.