Add Product

Search Results:

bkyne

Boosting wifi signal on the Sony Blu-ray Disc/DVD Player BDP-S590

I just bought the Blu-ray player which has a wireless LAN built-in. It is having trouble connecting with Netflix. I don't think the signal is strong enough, since I am in a Loft Condo which has one concrete wall that I think is blocking the signal.

If I get something to boost my wifi signal, is that called a repeater. And will it cut the speed in half?

What might be a good solution for me?

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
RealGeorgeW
Topics: 617
Kudos: 538
Solutions: 313

Re: Boosting wifi signal on the Sony Blu-ray Disc/DVD Player BDP-S590

I suppose the simplest solution, but you didn't say if possible, would be to simply move the wifi router closer to the BD player..

If not, then it will simply take whatever signal it receives and rebroadcast it. So say on a scale of 1-10. The repeater is picking up your wifi at a 4, it'll rebroadcast at a maximum speed of 4, but the repeater itself will be broadcasting at a 10.

I'm tired, so if that didn't make any sense, please, other peoples, chime in.

If you like my post, or solution to your issue/question, go ahead and click on the little star by my name and/or accept the post as the Solution. It makes me happy.

I'm NOT an employee of Best Buy, or Geek Squad, though I did work as an Agent for a year 5 years ago. None of my posts are to be taken as the official stance that Best Buy will take on your situation. My advice is just that, advice.
Unfortunately, that's the bad luck of any electronic, there's going to be bad Apples... wait that's a horrible pun.
Please use plain text.
bkyne

I can't move the DVD player closer to the wifi. It is a second/bedroom solution for streaming Netflix.

I didn't really understand your reply. Talk to me like I'm only a minor techie. :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Frequent Contributor
rwillen

Something like this Netgear Wireless Extender should do the trick for you.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR+-+Universal+Wi-Fi+Range+Extender+with+Ethernet+port/2733324.p;js...

For consistency in sofware and firmware updates, I usually recommend buying the same brand extender as your wireless router, so if you have a Linksys router, look for a Linksys extender.

Please use plain text.
bkyne

Will using such a device cut down my speed though?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Contributor
rwillen

bkyne wrote:

Will using such a device cut down my speed though?

Thanks.

Any traffic going across the extender will be about half what your main router delivers. This is simply because it has to send and recieve traffic at the same time. Traffic going across your primary router won't be affected. It should still be fine for any streaming services like netflix or hulu. YMMV depending on that concrete wall though.

Please use plain text.
RealGeorgeW
Topics: 617
Kudos: 538
Solutions: 313

Silly techie kid slang

YMMV = Your mileage may vary.

If you like my post, or solution to your issue/question, go ahead and click on the little star by my name and/or accept the post as the Solution. It makes me happy.

I'm NOT an employee of Best Buy, or Geek Squad, though I did work as an Agent for a year 5 years ago. None of my posts are to be taken as the official stance that Best Buy will take on your situation. My advice is just that, advice.
Unfortunately, that's the bad luck of any electronic, there's going to be bad Apples... wait that's a horrible pun.
Please use plain text.
bkyne

I ended up getting a Netgear Universal Internet Adapter. I read that they can be problematic in condos, but I haven't had any problems, so I guess that's my solution.

Thanks everybody for your help.

Please use plain text.