Add Product

Search Results:

nblank15
Accepted Solution

Best way to hook up blu-ray player to my HDTV and receiver

Model: KDL60EX700 | SKU: 9763394

This HDTV features 1080p technology for brilliant high-definition images and a 3D comb filter for enhanced color purity. Easily connect to Netflix, YouTube and Slacker via the BRAVIA Internet Video feature. Internet ConnectableGet access to great Instant Content on this LCD HDTV. Connect to the Internet and you will have instant access to stream movies, listen to music and a wide variety of content through your HDTV. Learn more about Internet Connectable products. Netflix YouTube Pandora

Sale: $2698.99

I just got the Sony BRAVIA 60" Class / 1080p / 120Hz / LED-LCD HDTV and I have a Yamaha RX-V1800.  I want to buy and hook up a Blu-ray player to both.  What the best way to do this?  Should I use the optical audio to connect the Blu-ray to the receive and the HDMI to connect to the TV?  I really want to be able to use HDMI for the audio but then I'm left with only component video for the TV.  I can't filter the sound through the TV, this does not work.  Does optical produce good audio? 

Please use plain text.
Calidoc75

Re: Best way to hook up blu-ray player to my HDTV and receiver

Your receiver has 4 HDMI inputs, and one HDMI output, therefore you can use the HDMI from the Blu-ray player to the Receiver, and then another HDMI from the receiver to the TV. Everything should connect to the receiver, then to the TV through one HDMI. This allows the receiver to process all audio signals before send the video signal on to the TV. Hope this helps!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Although I am a Home Theater Employee at Best Buy, all comments posted by myself are entirely personal opinions based upon my personal experiences both in store and at home. My opinions are my own, and are not those of Best Buy Stores, Geek Squad or any other Best Buy Brands.
Please use plain text.
nblank15

Thank you, I didn't realize I could do this.  My only concern with doing it this way is the refresh rate.  The receiver has a 60 hz rate and the TV has 120 hz.  Will I start to see a blur in action scenes?  Also do I lose any picture quality by running it through the receiver?

Please use plain text.
nblank15

Okay so I did try to run everything through the Yamaha receiver and the refresh rate is just to slow.  I put in the DVD Salt and as soon as there was a chase scene I got lot of blurring.  Since I'm not going to get a new receiver any time soon is a HDMI to the TV and an optical to the receiver the best option?

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
TheLexMachine

nblank15 wrote:

Okay so I did try to run everything through the Yamaha receiver and the refresh rate is just to slow.  I put in the DVD Salt and as soon as there was a chase scene I got lot of blurring.  Since I'm not going to get a new receiver any time soon is a HDMI to the TV and an optical to the receiver the best option?

You have no idea what you are doing which is why your results are not pleasing. Simply connect the equipment with HDMI cables as instructed and use only Blu-Ray discs as they are full-resolution sources. Your Blu-Ray player applies upscaling and processing to your DVD which is why it looks like crap and your receiver would do the same depending on the settings. You also need to check the settings on your player and HDTV to get them both aligned for the best picture quality. 

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Entropy

nblank15 wrote:

1)  It's a DVD, it's going to be "blurry" to some degree simply due to being 720x480.

2)  Nearly all films are filmed in the US at 24 frames per second.  (actually, something like 23.97...), any motion blur is an artifact of the content itself.  There is no content anywhere available with refresh rates above 60 Hz except for 3D content.  The only benefit 120 Hz TVs have is that 120 is evenly divisble by 24, and 60 is not.

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Entropy

Since I can't edit, here's a clarification:  With the exception of 3D TVs, nearly all 120 Hz TVs are incapable of actually taking a native 120 Hz input even if it existed (Which, with the exception of PCs and 3D content, 120 Hz content does not exist).  They perform internal motion processing of the incoming content to try and interpolate frames.  This is basically useless for 30 and 60 Hz content, but is beneficial for 24 Hz content (see above - 24 divides evenly into 120 but not 60).

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.
Please use plain text.
nblank15

TheLexMachine wrote:

nblank15 wrote:

You have no idea what you are doing which is why your results are not pleasing. Simply connect the equipment with HDMI cables as instructed and use only Blu-Ray discs as they are full-resolution sources. Your Blu-Ray player applies upscaling and processing to your DVD which is why it looks like crap and your receiver would do the same depending on the settings. You also need to check the settings on your player and HDTV to get them both aligned for the best picture quality. 

Well I did use HDMI cables, and I also checked all of the setting on both the receiver and the TV.  I did not use a Blu-Ray or player as I have not bought one yet.  So are you saying the only way to not get a blur when using this set up would be to only watch Blu-Rays??  That does not make much sense.  Also I would like to say I have some idea what I'm doing but obviously not as much as many people on this site, that's why I posted my question here.  Thanks though for pointing out the obvious, It was very helpful of you.

Please use plain text.
nblank15

Entropy wrote:

nblank15 wrote:

1)  It's a DVD, it's going to be "blurry" to some degree simply due to being 720x480.

2)  Nearly all films are filmed in the US at 24 frames per second.  (actually, something like 23.97...), any motion blur is an artifact of the content itself.  There is no content anywhere available with refresh rates above 60 Hz except for 3D content.  The only benefit 120 Hz TVs have is that 120 is evenly divisble by 24, and 60 is not.

Okay so then the issue would seem to be that fact that I'm tying this out with a so so DVD player.  I'm going to purchase a Blu-Ray player and once again try the HDMI through the receiver.  That makes sense because with the cable box hooked up with HDMI to the receiver and then HDMI to the TV the Picture was the same as a direct HDMI to the TV.  Thanks for you help :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Entropy

There are two possible causes of blur:

1)  Low resolution - Things will be blurry/not sharp in all situations, motion or still.  Bluray will fix this issue.

2)  Motion - This can either be because the content itself has motion blur (i.e. that's the way it was filmed), or because of poor response times of an LCD.  I have not seen an LCD with slow enough response times to cause motion ghosting in many years, and no 120 Hz LCD should ever have this situation.  If you see motion blur on a 120 Hz LCD system, it is because that is the way the content itself was generated/filmed - garbage in/garbage out (although in some cases, motion blur in an action scene is intentional on the part of the filmmaker - a non-blurred scene is rejected by the mind as unnatural and looks "weird" to many humans.  The main benefit of 120 Hz is not to reduce motion blur, but to eliminate motion "judder" - When trying to display 24 fps content on a 60 Hz display, frames will occasionally be duplicated (I think one frame out of every 4 will be duped to generate a 5th frame to generate something that divides evenly into 60 Hz), this duplicated frame can cause "weird" effects in high-motion scenes.

------------------
Please use plain text.