Add Product

Search Results:

BBMG

3D Movies Formatted for the 3D Blu-Ray Player and Samsung 3D TV

We recently purchased a 3D Samsung TV, the glasses, and Samsung 3D Blu-Ray Player.  The Samsung 3D Glasses came with the 3D Movie "Monsters Vs. Aliens".  By the way, that movie looks great in 3D!

My wife has been seeing 3D movies on Blu-Ray at a large Internet retail site.  She is seeing such movies as "Polar Express" and the IMAX movies.  She has said that since it says it's 3D and it's on Blu-Ray that these movies have to be the ones that play only on the 3D Blu-Ray player and 3D TV that we have.  I have told her that these are not the same type of 3D movie that "Monsters Vs Aliens" is.  I have said that these movies can play on any Blu-Ray player because they come with their own 3D glasses.  I say that the movies she is seeing on the Internet come with their own 3D glasses and are for standard 2D Blu-Ray players.  They will work on our 3D TV and players, but the TV has to be set in 2D and the player will play the movie only in 2D.  I say that you have to use the 3D glasses that come with those movies, and it won't look the same as "Monsters Vs Aliens".

I say that the only movie that will work on the Samsung 3D Player as a 3D movie formatted for the 3D Blue Ray player and the Samsung 3D TV is the "Monsters Vs Aliens" that comes with the glasses.  I have said that no other such movies are out yet.  Others are coming out within the next year, but as of now the only movie that will work with the TV in 3D-mode and the 3D Blue-Ray player is "Monsters Vs Aliens". 

Am I right about this?

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Entropy

Re: 3D Movies Formatted for the 3D Blu-Ray Player and Samsung 3D TV

I don't know if it is the only one out now, but I can tell you:

Polar Express and National Geographic: Sea Monsters (the latter of which is one of those IMAX ones) both use old-school anaglyph (red/blue) 3D, not the new high-refresh-rate shutter glasses used by the new 3D systems.

In general, if it is Blu-Ray but has a release date prior to late 2009/early 2010 (Polar Express is listed as 2008) it's guaranteed NOT to be one of the new shutter-glasses based 3D movies.

If it has a release date later than early 2010, there is a chance it uses the new 3D method, but isn't guaranteed.

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
TheLexMachine

Re: 3D Movies Formatted for the 3D Blu-Ray Player and Samsung 3D TV

BBMG wrote:

We recently purchased a 3D Samsung TV, the glasses, and Samsung 3D Blu-Ray Player.  The Samsung 3D Glasses came with the 3D Movie "Monsters Vs. Aliens".  By the way, that movie looks great in 3D!

My wife has been seeing 3D movies on Blu-Ray at a large Internet retail site.  She is seeing such movies as "Polar Express" and the IMAX movies.  She has said that since it says it's 3D and it's on Blu-Ray that these movies have to be the ones that play only on the 3D Blu-Ray player and 3D TV that we have.  I have told her that these are not the same type of 3D movie that "Monsters Vs Aliens" is.  I have said that these movies can play on any Blu-Ray player because they come with their own 3D glasses.  I say that the movies she is seeing on the Internet come with their own 3D glasses and are for standard 2D Blu-Ray players.  They will work on our 3D TV and players, but the TV has to be set in 2D and the player will play the movie only in 2D.  I say that you have to use the 3D glasses that come with those movies, and it won't look the same as "Monsters Vs Aliens".

I say that the only movie that will work on the Samsung 3D Player as a 3D movie formatted for the 3D Blue Ray player and the Samsung 3D TV is the "Monsters Vs Aliens" that comes with the glasses.  I have said that no other such movies are out yet.  Others are coming out within the next year, but as of now the only movie that will work with the TV in 3D-mode and the 3D Blue-Ray player is "Monsters Vs Aliens". 

Am I right about this?

You are correct. Content has to be specifically mastered for the new 3D Blu-Ray standard regardless of the original process it used to achieve 3D and there won't be much content available for home use until the holiday sales season as that's when the 3D TV sales will really kick off as there will be actual HD channels of 3D broadcast content in place by then if all goes according to plan as well as budget-priced 3D Blu-Ray players and the first wave of 3D converted films. Right now though, studios are quickly remastering older 3D and some of their 2D content from the past thirty years such as the Star Wars films and the Harry Potter series to the new Blu-Ray standard, and the content authoring companies and video equipment makers are focusing on getting their 3D cameras and video processing software and hardware out into the wild.

Please use plain text.