Add Product

Search Results:

kruschjm

antivirus

My antivirus software is not working properly.  My webroot security scans close themselves or are constantly running but doesn't show up when I open the webroot program.  My firewall is also constantly turning itself off and on and cannot be turned back on once it turns itself off.  Any suggestions on how to clear any virus that is causing this?

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
NoNoBadDog

Re: antivirus

Webroot is one of the least effective antivirus solutions out there.  Suggest you ditch it and switch to a better one, such as Norton Internet Security.

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
xl

Re: antivirus => Get Norton

I agree.... keep in mind Norton's Internet Security includes a software firewall, in addition to a virus checker.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
NoNoBadDog

I just re-read your original post; you suspect you have a virus, and want to keep the aniot-virus that allowed your computer to get infected with a virus? 

Remove Webroot, and buy Norton Internet Security, 

Webroot is like a virus itself, very hard to uninstall.  Use this tool:

http://download.techworld.com/147/webroot-removal-tool/

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!
Please use plain text.
Geek Squad Agent
AaronE

I'll disagree with NoNoBadDog that webroot is difficult to uninstall.

I'll also say that no Antivirus software is foolproof and that if you're running out of date versions of Java, Adobe Flash and Adobe Reader you'll be able to be infected no matter which antivirus you have installed.

Out of date versions of Java are especially vulnerrable to exploits like Java Rhino and the Black Hole Exploit Pack. You can get infected just by going to a site and not clicking on anything... it requires no user interaction.

Although I am employed by Geek Squad my opinions do not in any way shape or form represent Best Buy's Official stance on matters. My opinions are solely my own.
Please use plain text.
Adam8112

Hello it happened to me, one of my friends requested a very poweful antivirous that actually worked for me. its name is "Eset Nod32 Antivirous" try it.

Thank you

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
NoNoBadDog

Eset NOD is well known to give a very high number of false postives.  While it may offer good protection, it can disable essential files and/or processes that will disable certain functions or programs. I suggest you do research on this topic before choosing it.

Please use plain text.
Recognized Member
biff

I personally like Microsft Security Essentials.  No problems with it so far and it's free.  I like Trend Micro as well, but wont pay for it.

I DO NOT work for Best Buy, Geek Squad and any way affiliated with them. I am a self-employed repairman. I specialize in TV's and desktop computers. I do not take sides. If BB is wrong I will say so. If you are a moron with a false sense of entitlement, then I will tell you.
Please use plain text.
RealGeorgeW
Topics: 605
Kudos: 528
Solutions: 308

Norton, actually is one of the higher rated AV's out there now. Kaspersky usually runs in the top as well. but GDATA actually usually scores at or very near to the top. I usually don't recommend it to non power users though.

If you like my post, or solution to your issue/question, go ahead and click on the little star by my name and/or accept the post as the Solution. It makes me happy.

I'm NOT an employee of Best Buy, or Geek Squad, though I did work as an Agent for a year 5 years ago. None of my posts are to be taken as the official stance that Best Buy will take on your situation. My advice is just that, advice.
Unfortunately, that's the bad luck of any electronic, there's going to be bad Apples... wait that's a horrible pun.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Jimmienomam

After the revamp of Norton in 2007 or 08 they are actually one of the better ones now. Also I used to love Panda, but they have been going downhill.

If you wait and look hard you can usually find A version of Norton for free after rebates and upgrade rebate.

Last 4 years I have gotten free versions of norton suite and norton 360, both 3 user, for free.
Please use plain text.