Add Product

Search Results:

gymnast2096

What laptops will work with The Sims 3?

I want to play The Sims 3, but don't know what laptops will run it. I really don't care if it runs prefectly.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Starflyer59

Re: What laptops will work with The Sims 3?

The Sim 3 sure is a power hungry little game. A few questions would help to narrow down the answer.

1. How much do you want to spend?

2. Do you have a absolute need for a laptop or could you go with a desktop?

3. Do you prefer a certain brand?

Buying a laptop for gaming is generaly a bad idea unless you are prepared to spend between $1500-$5000 dollars.

The reason for that is laptops have very little or NO upgrade options when it comes to videocards and laptops just die so quickly.

Things to look for in a gaming laptop

1. Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD X4 Phenom

2. 2-4GB of ram

3. 250GB or larger Hard drive

4. 512MB Videocard with DEDICATED memory. Something like  a Nvida 9800GT or ATI 4870.

5. A large display with the highest resolution avaiable.

**If you like my answer then click the little Star under my username.
**If my response answered your question then click the Solved button. Thanks

Please use plain text.
gymnast2096

Well, I did find a computer at Best Buy and the employee there said that it would play The Sims3. Take a look..............

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9167947&st=9167947&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=121804199...

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Starflyer59

That one might play Sims 3 on low settings.

The GMA 4500 videocard is a onboard chip and really crummy. It shares memory from your RAM. That laptop has a plain Intel Core Duo and not the better Core 2 Duo.

Honestly, that laptop is not worth the money. It's a very entry level laptop that is not for gaming at all.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Starflyer59

The only two laptops that BB carries right now that will run the SIMs 3 would be the

Asus G50VT

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9173262&type=product&id=1218044029168

or the

Gateway FX model

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9172511&type=product&id=1218043606827

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
SlimJim77

Starflyer59 wrote:

The only two laptops that BB carries right now that will run the SIMs 3 would be the

Asus G50VT

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9173262&type=product&id=1218044029168

or the

Gateway FX model

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9172511&type=product&id=1218043606827

Not exactly. Though they are not listed on the BB website yet, some stores already a have new assortment of laptops for sale now.

I just saw a quad-core HP with ATI graphics selling for $1299. I also peeped at least one new Toshiba and Asus model with enough spunk to play this game.

The OP should wait for there local store to get in these units. It won't be much longer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disclosure: Former BBY employee.
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Starflyer59

Thanks for the update Slimjim. I very rarely ever get to the stores to see what's new.

Please use plain text.
Vendor Participant
Dave-Intel

Outside of raw performance, there's another aspect to consider when looking for that new PC when it comes to games like The Sims 3.  That is, the ability to take this game with you on a laptop.  While a discrete graphics solution paired with a powerful processor will often give you the best performance, they can also draw more power.  An integrated solution, like the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator, can draw less power, and their no performance slouch.   Better battery life means being able to play in more places than just the standard ol' desk in the den.  Best Buy now lists battery life scores with their laptops.  Keep an eye on those scores while you're shopping if you're interested in gaming you can take with you.

Please use plain text.