Add Product

Search Results:

jmscott0426

Using Insignia TV as computer monitor - but no sound in VGA mode

I have hooked up my NS-LCD22 Insignia TV to my Dell Computer with Windows XP - through the VGA port.  I connected the cable TV to the normal coaxial port.

Everything works fine in TV mode.  When I change the SOURCE INPUT to VGA mode - I can use my computer facilities just fine, except I cannot get any sound at all.  Switching back to TV mode, gets me right back to having sound.

I made sure that the MUTE was off, and that the volume(s) were up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jamie

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
SlimJim77

Re: Using Insignia TV as computer monitor - but no sound in VGA mode

VGA is a video only signal.

You need to run a 3.5mm auxillary cable from your computer to the TV set.

Something like this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disclosure: Former BBY employee.
Please use plain text.
senzog

SlimJim is correct, VGA is Video only. As an alternative, if your TV does not have a headphone (3.5mm) jack, there are cables that plug into your laptop's head phone jack and out to your TV's Composite cable ports (red/white/yellow)

They are typically inexpensive as well. If needed, look for "3.5mm to RCA" cables. The cable would have to be male on both ends.

- - -

Bestbuy employee by day, college student at night, and some how a graphic designer / book writer somewhere in between. Only the mighty Thor himself knows why I would want to spend my small amount of free time lurking on the website of my employer.
Please use plain text.
Jeckler

SlimJim77 has it right in this case. The audio jack is right next to the VGA port on the TV, according to the manual.
There are cheaper cables out there though.
Please use plain text.