Add Product

Search Results:

12doce

Sony VAIO issues model VPCCW17FX

I purchased a Sony VAIO VPCCW17FX from Best Buy a couple of days ago.  It is my second one because the first one got damaged in shipping. 

Two things I have noticed about this new one.  It's louder and I am having software issues.  I haven't installed anything on it, so it is like just when I took it out of the box (two days ago).  Sony's website is not  recongzing my computer when I try to download updates becasue the sony update icon is dispalyed in the lower right corner.  I get the message "We're sorry but we are unable to detect your OS."

I talked to a sony tech, who was very unhelpful and left me with my problem not solved, and he told me to download "Sony Shared Library."  After dowloading it I get the error message "This program might not have installed correctly."  Then I click the button that says "Reinstall using windows recommended settings."  After that runs its course I get the message that "This software can only work with vista" although its clearly for Windows 7.

Is my computer having some other sort of issue (hardware possibly?)  I'm thiniking about returning it, AGAIN.  Geeee

Please use plain text.
lisag

Re: Sony VAIO issues model VPCCW17FX

I'm having the same problems with my vaio vpccw17f when trying to update via Sony live update i.e. when I try to download updates becasue the sony update icon is dispalyed in the lower right corner. I get the message "We're sorry but we are unable to detect your OS." I spent 3 hours with tech support and this was not resolved. Supposedly updates can be done manually. I purchased mine 12 days ago so I may return on Saturday and start over. Should I return it?
Please use plain text.
Guitarzan

I, too, have had the same update issue.  My question is this: is the Sony VAIO updater even necessary??  Because the WIndows 7 updater works fine.  I just think that the Sony updater is probably some marketing thing more than a mission-critical update.

Windows 7 is pretty stable.  I have had one desktop icon go missing and in its place is some generic icon.  It's Windows; I expect some strange quirks here and there.

Other than these two mild annoyances, I am loving the VPCCW17FX.  Super fast response, and great display.

I bought it a few weeks ago for $799 at BB. Last week it increased to $829. Now it's $849.

Please use plain text.
lisag

Re: Sony VAIO model VPCCW17FX

Thank you for posting.  I do love this computer.  I solved this by saving my laptop model in my favorates and then I just downloaded any of the "updates" listed.  Tech support said to just upload updates.  But if everything else is working fine I guess even the sony updates may not be essential.  I saw that the white vpccw17fx  did increase to $849 from $799 so I got lucky too.

Lisa

Please use plain text.
RealGeorgeW
Topics: 617
Kudos: 538
Solutions: 313

I personally always uninstall HP Update, Sony Update, ASUS Live Update, etc from any computer I work on.

They're just useless junk to update the useless junk software from the manufacturer.

If you like my post, or solution to your issue/question, go ahead and click on the little star by my name and/or accept the post as the Solution. It makes me happy.

I'm NOT an employee of Best Buy, or Geek Squad, though I did work as an Agent for a year 5 years ago. None of my posts are to be taken as the official stance that Best Buy will take on your situation. My advice is just that, advice.
Unfortunately, that's the bad luck of any electronic, there's going to be bad Apples... wait that's a horrible pun.
Please use plain text.
Guitarzan

RealGeorgeW said:

"I personally always uninstall HP Update, Sony Update, ASUS Live Update, etc from any computer I work on."

Done.  Anything else we should nuke?

Please use plain text.
12doce

I went ahead and returned it, again, but not for that issue solely.  My hard drive was only working at 87% (It was defective). I'm sure BB hates me for returning so many.

Anyways, yes the introduction price was 799.99 and was raised to 829.99 and now to 849.99.  I do agree that this computer is absolutely awesome!

Please use plain text.
apapooh

I got one also on september 2009, Right now the problem that I have is that the internal Hard disk send a SMART message error of a possible failure.

I'm on the back up process.....

:mansad:

Please use plain text.
jonboy6186

I purchased this Sony model from BestBuy a couple weeks ago for my girlfriend.  Worked fine for a day, and then started getting the click of death from the hard drive.  They use a particularly bad Seagate model hard drive in these and they are prone to failure right off the assembly line.  Exchanged it and this one seems to be working fine now.

I purchased a similar model seagate 2.5 hard drive a month or two before purchasing this VAIO (to place in another laptop) and it did the SAME thing.  Go figure.  Other then the crap Seagate drive... the computer runs great!

Jon

(ex Best Buy Geek Squad Agent.... so use my advice lightly)
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
TheLexMachine

RealGeorgeW wrote:

I personally always uninstall HP Update, Sony Update, ASUS Live Update, etc from any computer I work on.

They're just useless junk to update the useless junk software from the manufacturer.

Not quite. Those all provide you with things like BIOS updates, critical driver fixes, and service notices from the manufactuer that you otherwise wouldn't get unless you went looking for them. Most people don't really use them anyway, but they do serve their purpose. I've never ever disabled them on any machine I've owned or worked on because there is no logical reason to do so.

Please use plain text.