Add Product

Search Results:

GhostTrigger27

Running WoW and Starcraft II on a Dell Dimension E310

Hello,

I was looking to try computer gaming.  The 2 main games I was looking to try was WoW and Starcraft II, I hear so much about them.  I do not have a gaming computer and dont have the money to buy one yet.  I have an extra Dell Dimension E310, I was wondering if there was any upgrade I can do to run those 2 games.  Any help would be great!

Thanks
GT27

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Entropy

Re: Running WoW and Starcraft II on a Dell Dimension E310

GhostTrigger27 wrote:

Hello,

I was looking to try computer gaming.  The 2 main games I was looking to try was WoW and Starcraft II, I hear so much about them.  I do not have a gaming computer and dont have the money to buy one yet.  I have an extra Dell Dimension E310, I was wondering if there was any upgrade I can do to run those 2 games.  Any help would be great!

Thanks
GT27

The E310 is really old.  You might be able to run WoW by adding an additional PCI-e graphics card (It looks like the E310 is PCIe based, not AGP), however that may not prove to be worth the cost compared to buying a new desktop.  You say "extra" E310 - what is your primary machine?

The good news is that WoW is relatively light on system resources compared to most games.  Even a basic desktop these days should run it acceptably (except for possible problems in one of the cities and endgame raiding - the city in question is nicknamed "Lagaran" because it makes EVERYONE's system slow!), and should run it well with an addin graphics card such as an Nvidia GT220 or GT240.

SC2 could be a whole different story.

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.
Please use plain text.
RedWyv3
Topics: 292
Kudos: 178
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 80

For the Horde!

I have to agree. With the price of current desktop units, replacing it would be easier then finding a PCI graphics card (not PCI EXPRESS, that's a different animal).

s.gifI am a Bestbuy employee who volunteers on these boards on my own time. I am not paid for posting here, and you should understand that my opinions are exactly that - opinions. I do not represent Bestbuy in any way.
: Open Mailbox
Please use plain text.
RedWyv3

... and I never have any lag in Dalaran after Questhelper loads. :smileyhappy:

s.gifI am a Bestbuy employee who volunteers on these boards on my own time. I am not paid for posting here, and you should understand that my opinions are exactly that - opinions. I do not represent Bestbuy in any way.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Entropy

Yeah.  My configuration is:

Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.4 GHz, one of the first C2Qs)

Nvidia 8800GT (same as the 9800GT, the GT240 I mentioned earlier is slightly slower but cheaper and consumes much less power)

2GB RAM.  (Actually now I have 6GB physical, but only Linux can use that, as Windows on that machine is still 32-bit.)

The system was built from parts for around $600 2-3 years ago.

No lag in Dala once QH loads either.

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.
Please use plain text.
GhostTrigger27

well, looks like the best bet is to buy a new computer.  Wanted to try the games before I spent the money on a new computer

Please use plain text.
RedWyv3

I believe WoW is still sending out 10 day trial discs.

Most machines will run the darn thing, if not well.

Remember the game is kind of old itself.

Please use plain text.
GhostTrigger27

Jake,

Thanks for the help.  During the research I am doing, I did notice that it was an old game.  But, it is ont of those games I always hear about.  Is it still that popular or just that good?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Entropy

GhostTrigger27 wrote:

Jake,

Thanks for the help.  During the research I am doing, I did notice that it was an old game.  But, it is ont of those games I always hear about.  Is it still that popular or just that good?

Thanks

It is still popular.  It frequently gets content updates in terms of expansion packs, which sometimes raise system requirements a bit, but Blizzard has done pretty well keeping the minimum specs low while allowing those who have high end systems to get shiny eye candy.

Massively Multiplayer Online Games (MMOGs) tend to have much longer lifespans than standalone or limited-multiplayer games.  WoW is pretty much the MMO against which nearly any new MMO has to compete, and frequently new entries into the market (Warhammer, Aion) fail to deliver - they take a chunk of players from WoW on release, but frequently after a few months quite a good portion of those players return to WoW.

Also, in general, Blizzard games are well designed and have good gameplay, so last a lot longer than other games do even when their graphics become dated.  Diablo II and the original Starcraft are still quite popular and are now over a decade old.

------------------
Please use plain text.
roben_68_smith

Agree, Blizzard try to came up with low graphics video resolution (as much as possible) but I don’t think Dimension E310 can handle the games, I recall that’s what were using back in highschool days and that was too looooong ago. :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.