Add Product

Search Results:

goldie1234316

Networking Issues

Hi

not to long ago i purchased a laptop and a wireless router. i hooked up the new laptop the the old one we already had which was connected to a printer. I was able to print perfectly fine and everything was working great. Now all the sudden it can't connect to the old laptop and says the printer is offline, which it isn't. Both computers are on and connected to the wireless network. Can anyone help?

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
NoNoBadDog

Re: Networking Issues

Have you tried cycling the router?

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!
Please use plain text.
RedWyv3
Topics: 292
Kudos: 178
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 80

"purchased a laptop and a wireless router. i hooked up the new laptop the the old one we already had which was connected to a printer."

Clarify: What devices are currently running and hooked up?

Is it:

(2) Laptops (1 new)

(1) Wireless router (new)?

Is the printer hooked up to a machine and you're using the computer through the LAN, with the printer shared?

If so, did you set that LAN up via the old router, or the new router?

s.gifI am a Bestbuy employee who volunteers on these boards on my own time. I am not paid for posting here, and you should understand that my opinions are exactly that - opinions. I do not represent Bestbuy in any way.
: Open Mailbox
Please use plain text.
goldie1234316

What does that mean? I don't think the router is working incorrectly cause both computers are able to connect to the internet

Please use plain text.
goldie1234316

Superuser RedWyv3
Yes there are two laptops, one that is new and one that we've had. We also have one new wireless router. The laptop that we've had for awhile is the one connected to the printer. Like I said, this was working fine a week ago, I don't know what happened to change things

Please use plain text.
goldie1234316

Oh and also we only have one wireless router, there isn't a old one. Before we got the wireless router we have now we just hooked up using an ethernet cord. Also idk what LAN is

Please use plain text.
RedWyv3

1. Unplug the wireless router from the wall from the wall. Wait two minutes.

2. Plug it back in. (this is known as cycling).

3. Test connection to printer.

4. If not connected, please verify your LAN (Local Acces Network). Are you able to 'see' the printer in your Network?

5. If not, you may need to re-setup your network. Contact either Geek Squad or a person knowledgeable about network setup.

s.gifI am a Bestbuy employee who volunteers on these boards on my own time. I am not paid for posting here, and you should understand that my opinions are exactly that - opinions. I do not represent Bestbuy in any way.
Please use plain text.
goldie1234316

Ok, thankyou. Hopefully I'll be able to fix the problem without any further problems. Do you have any idea of what caused it to suddenly stop working?

Please use plain text.
RedWyv3

I get this question all the time. The simple answer is: Not until it's fixed, because what solution worked usually tells us *how* it happened. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
goldie1234316

Oh ok, well that makes sense. Thanks again

Please use plain text.