Add Product

Search Results:

Valued Contributor
NoNoBadDog

Re: Mac Vs. PC => Flashback

Yup, I always have a good laugh when an Apple-head tells me they don't need malware protection.  It is even funnier because many of them actually believe it. 

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!
Please use plain text.
JuanGuapo

Oh "Flashback-gate," just like all the other misnomers in the press these days about Apple...

Although I do agree--I suppose this would be a really big problem if Java Runtime is installed by default on Macs
(hint: it isn't, neither is Flash for the same reason).

Also, I suppose it would have been an equally huge problem if Apple hadn't of patched this Java Runtime exploit within a week (hint: they did, twice).

Now, tell me again how long exactly Microsoft sits on fixes for exploits and vulnerabilities in Windows? Oh yeah, that's right....

Anyone with any sort of technical credential or experience in the field knows that straight-out-of-the-box, you are far safer on a Mac than any Windows incarnation. Period.

 Mac User. Geek. Gamer. Proud Member of the 99%.
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
NoNoBadDog

Yet the "old wives tale" still lives.  Being 'safer" is ony a matter of degree.  It is completely wrong to say Macs do not need protection.

As Apple gains market share, it will only get worse, and there will be more exploits relased "in the wild".

The smugness with which many Mac owners regard the OS will bite them on the butt. 

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
xl

The issue is the earlier statement that Mac do not have malware.  Mac's do have malware and there is little antivirus software for it.  Yes, patch Tuesday is this week and operating system updates are available then.

With regards to avoiding Flash/Java.  I often find myself knee capped when browsing on Apple products and forced to go back to a Windows PC to get the full experience of the site.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
NoNoBadDog

I am frustrated as well by Apple and their rabid dislike of Java.  While Apple is making good progress in the market, they will never receive wide acceptance until this issue is resolved. 

The recent spate of Mac malware is far from the first, it is just  one that happened to infect many more Macs befroe being reported.

Norton does make protection for the Mac, and it is supposed to be pretty good. 

One thing is for sure, as Macs become more prevalent, such malware will also become more prevalent.

Please use plain text.