Add Product

Search Results:

rallew

I want to install a blu ray, can pc handle a blu ray internal drive?

I want to install a blu ray, would my pc handle a blu ray internal drive? my pc specs are:

Brand: eMachines    Model: ET1161-07     Processor: AMD Athlon X2 4050e(2.1GHz) Processor      Main Features: 64 bit Dual Core Processor Cache Per Processor 2 x 512KB L2 Cache     Memory: 3GB DDR2      Hard Drive: 320GB SATA II 7200RPM  Optical Drive 1 18x DVD +/- RW Super Multi-Format Dual Layer Drive featuring Labelflash Technology         Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE Integrated Graphics, Up to 128MB of Shared Video Memory         Audio: 8-Channel (7.1) High Definition Audio Ethernet: 10/100 Mbps            Ethernet LAN Power Supply: 250W                  Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Thank you

Please use plain text.
Frequent Contributor
rwillen

Re: I want to install a blu ray, can pc handle a blu ray internal drive?

rallew wrote:

I want to install a blu ray, would my pc handle a blu ray internal drive? my pc specs are:

Brand: eMachines    Model: ET1161-07     Processor: AMD Athlon X2 4050e(2.1GHz) Processor      Main Features: 64 bit Dual Core Processor Cache Per Processor 2 x 512KB L2 Cache     Memory: 3GB DDR2      Hard Drive: 320GB SATA II 7200RPM  Optical Drive 1 18x DVD +/- RW Super Multi-Format Dual Layer Drive featuring Labelflash Technology         Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE Integrated Graphics, Up to 128MB of Shared Video Memory         Audio: 8-Channel (7.1) High Definition Audio Ethernet: 10/100 Mbps            Ethernet LAN Power Supply: 250W                  Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Thank you

You'll be fine. I used to use almost the exact same setup for a home theater pc.

Please use plain text.
rallew

Thank you rwillen.

Please use plain text.
joea64

Cyberlink (makers of PowerDVD software) have a tool called BD Advisor which you can download to test your computer and see if it meets the specs for playing Blu-Ray discs:  Cyberlink BD & 3D Advisor Overview

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
TheLexMachine

rallew wrote:

You need a better machine. A desktop like that will not do well with Blu-Ray playback because your hardware is too old, you have a small amount of system memory, and your GPU does not support the hardware decoding required by current Blu-Ray software. You can install a Blu-Ray drive and play Blu-Ray discs, but it will eat up too much of your system resources. For you to install the appropriate hardware and software, you would have to spend several hundred dollars to get a Blu-Ray drive, more memory, an appropriate GPU with the required level of hardware video decoding, a 64-bit OS, and Blu-Ray playback software. The Blu-Ray software is around $100, a Blu-Ray drive will run you $50-$100, more memory would probably cost you around $100-$200 depending on the capacity and current prices, and a graphics card for Blu-Ray playback that would work in your system would run you around $70. Add in a 64-bit OS and that's another $100. It's definitely not a good idea.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Contributor
rwillen

TheLexMachine wrote:

rallew wrote:

You need a better machine. A desktop like that will not do well with Blu-Ray playback because your hardware is too old, you have a small amount of system memory, and your GPU does not support the hardware decoding required by current Blu-Ray software. You can install a Blu-Ray drive and play Blu-Ray discs, but it will eat up too much of your system resources. For you to install the appropriate hardware and software, you would have to spend several hundred dollars to get a Blu-Ray drive, more memory, an appropriate GPU with the required level of hardware video decoding, a 64-bit OS, and Blu-Ray playback software. The Blu-Ray software is around $100, a Blu-Ray drive will run you $50-$100, more memory would probably cost you around $100-$200 depending on the capacity and current prices, and a graphics card for Blu-Ray playback that would work in your system would run you around $70. Add in a 64-bit OS and that's another $100. It's definitely not a good idea.

I shouldn't have missed the GPU, you're right about that, but the rest is fine. There's a 16X PCI-E though in that box though, add in a fanless Radeon 5450 for $30-$40, a $60.00 BR-D that should come with basic playback software and he's done. If it doesn't come with software, WinDVD pro is $60.00, and PowerDVD standard is $50.00. Some smart shopping and it's around $150.00.

CPU, RAM, and OS are fine. There's simply no need to upgrade to a 64bit OS with 3GB of RAM.

For comparison, my current HTPC runs on the following:

Core unlocked Sempron 140

4GB RAM
W7 64bit (even though I have run 32bit W7 before with no issues)

Radeon 6570 (the 5450 will be fine, I run my HTPC to a 60" plasma and 7.1 surround so I wanted better video and audio output)

Ceton Quad Tuner w/cablecard

A LOT of storage

For playback I use a combination of Windows Media Center 7, the Mediabrowser plugin with VLC for local file playback, and PowerDVD for BR-D. Everything works with no issues at all. I can record multiple shows at the same time as watching BR-D through PowerDVD.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Jimmienomam

I take it you guys aren't concerned with an old PSU that maxes at 250 (knowing emachines it is less). Given the time you assume it is only running at 75-80% making it closer to 200 peak?

Using 3 different PSU calculators adding a BD drive puts the wattage needed at 240-260. Even if they take into consideration a 20% cushion, at best you will be running this PSU at 90%-100% continuously. With a strong possibility of overtaxing the PSU (cause we all know emachines used bottom end parts)

If the PSU was a known better PSU I wouldn't be as skeptical, but knowing emachines I think the PSU will short or give out.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Contributor
rwillen

Jimmienomam wrote:
I take it you guys aren't concerned with an old PSU that maxes at 250 (knowing emachines it is less). Given the time you assume it is only running at 75-80% making it closer to 200 peak?

That's a good point, he could save a tad and not run into issues by swapping out the existing drive, but the GPU will still pull about 15 watts. He'd need at least a 300W PS. Corsiar and FSP both have one that run just over $40.00.

Please use plain text.