Add Product

Search Results:

syynn

Hannspree HF257 25" Monitor Problems

A while back I purchased a new PC monitor for my desktop from BB, which happens to be this model right here http://reviews.bestbuy.com/3545/8732749/reviews.htm. The desktop works perfectly fine with the included DVI to HDMI cable inserted in the HDMI 1 Port.

However, I noticed quite an annoying issue when I recently plugged in my PS3 on the 2nd HDMI port on the monitor. The monitor will very often turn off and on at random times. Sometimes it will do this 5 times within 15 minutes, and other times it won't do it for more than an hour, but it definitely always does this when using the PS3. I'm using an hdmi cable designed for use with the PS3 and I'm using the same settings as on my PC. I'm not sure what the issue is, but I'm thinking it may be a bad HDMI port.

Please use plain text.
tmittelstaedt

Re: Hannspree HF257 25" Monitor Problems

If you reverse cables and plug the ps3 into the hdmi port the pc is in, and the pc into the hdmi port

the ps3 is in, does the problem stay with the second hdmi port or move to the port the ps3 is in?

Please use plain text.
syynn

It seems that the ps3 has the problem on both of the hdmi ports on the monitor. The PC runs perfectly fine on both of the ports, but the ps3 still gets the same issue. I went ahead and plugged the ps3 back into my hdtv's hdmi port and the issue did not continue.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Entropy

syynn wrote: I'm using an hdmi cable designed for use with the PS3

HDMI is HDMI.  There's no difference between one "designed for PS3" and any other one other than marketing.

My guess is a bad HDMI cable.  Do you happen to have the specifications of the cable?  Length, average wire gauge, which revision of the HDMI spec it's compliant with?

These symptoms sound like classic "bad cable" ones to me.  Find a good 24AWG cable.  If it doesn't specify its average wire gauge, don't buy it.

Unfortunately, last I checked, none of the cables sold by BB had published AWG specifications.  Most of what they sell is overpriced Monster junk.

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.
Please use plain text.