Add Product

Search Results:

michelleblack

Broadband link is not available

My friends laptop shows at the bottom right corner that  she is connected to the internet but when she actually clicks on internet explorer it says " The Broadband Link is currently not available"  then I ran a "check connectivity" thing and it said DSL failed to connect the system's internal DSL modem does not currently detect a DSL signal or is having problems connecting.

it is a toshiba  and I also have a toshiba and mine connects just fine and the internet works fine for me, and her room mate's computer works great too.  but her room mate's  mom had trouble with her computer. 

Why are some of the laptops working and others not!?!!?!

PLEASE HELP

Please use plain text.
Community Veteran
Nokia

Re: Broadband link is not available

That makes no sense. IE won't say that, and no laptop has an internal DSL modem. Sounds like that computer has some malware on it.
Please use plain text.
michelleblack

I thought that it was strange that IE would post that too... because it usually just says this page can't be displayed (in the simple white with gray letter or w/e it is) but her laptop worked just fine at my house. 

we have been going through some problems with her computer though, on Facebook it sent out this virus that was filtering any type of protection tool from coming up but my brother finally found one and got everything off.  if it is malware do you think that it could be hiding even though my brother got everything else off?  and if it's so hidden after other things have been removed how would you even find it?

Should I have my brother look at it one more time even though the internet worked just fin in my house, just not at her own home?

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Entropy

Nokia wrote:
That makes no sense. IE won't say that, and no laptop has an internal DSL modem. Sounds like that computer has some malware on it.

On the other hand, many DSL providers use PPPoE, which requires software on the client machines.  Maybe PPPoE broke on that laptop somehow?

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.
Please use plain text.
marcisims

[ Edited ]

I have gotten this error all of a sudden also. I don't know alot about PC's but if someone can tell me what to do I would really appreciate it.  I have a 2wire modem and the DSL light start flashing red last night and was still flashing this morning. I have an HP laptop.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Entropy

If the modem's lights are blinking in an unusual fashion, call your service provider.
------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.
Please use plain text.