Add Product

Search Results:

joshie0

Best 17" Laptop?

Hi all,

I've been agonizing over which laptop to buy...perhaps someone here can point me in the right direction.

I'm looking for a 17-inch laptop, new (not refurbished), preferably under $1000.  I'm not a gamer, but use Photoshop quite often and do a lot of audio editing.  I obviously want the best specs I can afford.

Any suggestions?  I'm leaning towards the Samsung R780 due to its dedicated video memory and other good specs, but want to know if there are other great options out there.  Do I even NEED dedicated video memory?  And what's the current thinking regarding AMD vs. Intel?  Finally, what is the AMD equivalent to an i5 and i7?

Thanks in advance to all!

Please use plain text.
Frequent Contributor
asandwhich

Re: Best 17" Laptop?

I would consider ibuypower. Most customization available. As for dedicated memory, if you do not have any it will draw from the main memory. Very helpful if you do a lot of graphics or 3d stuff. The "equivalent of the i7 is the phenom ll. But, those just now moved to the mobile platform and dont compete on the same level for they are somewhat cheaper.
Please use plain text.
cpm
Trusted Member
cpm

Model: G71-449WM | SKU: 1063102

Create DVDs and CDs with this laptop's double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with LightScribe technology for custom labels. An Intel® Pentium® processor elevates multitasking capabilities, boosts productivity and enhances your entertainment and Internet browsing experiences. This product has been refurbished by the manufacturer. Learn more.Windows 7 Home Premium preloaded Which Windows 7 edition is best for you? Compare.Learn more about Intel® processors. Information provided by Intel.Learn more about LightScribe technology.

Sale: $499.99

Please use plain text.
CrystalWoW
Topics: 318
Kudos: 156
Solutions: 602

Ignore cpm as you SPECIFICALLY said you did not want refurbished. The samsung is a nice unit. Dedicated video ram is nice for higher end gaming and high def video editing/streaming. While you may not need dedicated ram, it is definitely nice to have around. I am a rather big intel fan and the i7 processor is one of the best. The i5 would be great for most users though and with the bluetooth built in, that Samsung looks to be the best in your price point. You can get up into the higher Amd Phenom processors if you would prefer amd.

Crystal
Superuser
Forum Guidelines | Terms & Conditions | Community Guidelines | What is a Superuser?
*Remember to mark your questions solved and click the star to give kudos to show your thanks!*
While I used to be a Best Buy Employee, I no longer have any affiliation with Best Buy.
My opinions do not in any way shape or form represent Best Buy's Official decisions.
Please use plain text.
RealGeorgeW
Topics: 622
Kudos: 544
Solutions: 314

List Of Laptops

Most of those are in your pricerange(or slightly over, if you can squeeze it into your budget)

I'd go with any of those on price/performance.

Dedicated graphics helps with Photoshop by offloading a bit of the graphical processing to the GPU, it will especially help if you ever do any videography.

The Samsung is a nice choice out of the list, and looks to be the best bang for the buck.

If you like my post, or solution to your issue/question, go ahead and click on the little star by my name and/or accept the post as the Solution. It makes me happy.

I'm NOT an employee of Best Buy, or Geek Squad, though I did work as an Agent for a year 5 years ago. None of my posts are to be taken as the official stance that Best Buy will take on your situation. My advice is just that, advice.
Unfortunately, that's the bad luck of any electronic, there's going to be bad Apples... wait that's a horrible pun.
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
NoNoBadDog

Quote from contributor "asandwhich":

I would consider ibuypower.

Asandwhich, do you realize that this is a Best Buy forum? 

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!
Please use plain text.
Frequent Contributor
asandwhich

Yes I do.
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
NoNoBadDog

I just think it would be prudent to not recommend other retailers...this is after all a "Best Buy" forum.  I know just as well as you do that there are plenty of options when it comes to buying computers and related electronics, but I think it's not fair to do so on their own forum.  Just my $.02.

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!
Please use plain text.
Frequent Contributor
asandwhich

I apologize. I will try to stop posting advice that draws sales from bestbuy.
Please use plain text.