Add Product

Search Results:

iowahawkeye
Accepted Solution

Accidentally uninstalled my Norton Security

Hi, i just bought my HP Pavilion 2 weeks ago and i have 30 days Geek Support w/a 2 year manufacturing warranty.  May i bring my laptop into a nearby BB to have someone reinstall the Norton free of charge?  thanks
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Entropy

Re: Accidentally uninstalled my Norton Security

WHOA.  I'm impressed.

Uninstalling Norton products is something that is difficult enough to do intentionally, let alone accidentally!  They have a tendency to leave cruft in systems even after an uninstall attempt.  (I know I was unable to succesfully fully uninstall preinstalled Norton products on my Dell bought in 2006, and wound up just doing a full Windows reinstall.)

I'm not sure what Geek Support covers.  The Norton software definately won't be covered by 2 year the manuf. warranty.

Maybe things have improved in the past three years (Not likely given the Norton brand's downward trend from a respectable PC utilities product line to a line of useless shovelware over the previous decade or so), but back in 2006, a Norton product was the last thing you wanted to have on your computer.

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.
Please use plain text.
Valued Member
AJ87

Actually, I would check with HP Customer Support (a toll free number) and see if the version that came with your system is a trial edition which only works for a couple of months and then you must pay to unlock it for use beyond that time.  In most cases, you will probably find it cheaper at a local retailer or online than buying it from Symantec.  Also, there are free alternatives that are worth checking into for anti-virus, anti-spyware, and such.

Avast and Grisoft AVG both offer free versions of their products for personal/home use.

Lavasoft offers a Free Anniversary Edition of their Ad-aware Software. 

You can find reviews of these products in most computer magazines and computer tech sites.

Please use plain text.
iowahawkeye

actually, it's a full year free, so it's kinda worth it for me to get it re-installed again...and you're right, i do see cheap Versions of Norton and i'll use the various online retailers when i have to extend it after this initial free year is up.  But until then, i just need to know if geek squad will re-install it for me.
Please use plain text.
iowahawkeye

thanks, this helps, what you're telling me.  so besides checking the control panel or the "all programs" list, where exactly can i find the Norton software still "hanging around" so that i could reinstall it?  i'm a little paranoid not having any virus protection at all.  Currently, i have the free "antispyware" download that cnet.com recommended, and also the Malawarebyte's "Antimalware" program...but my computer still reminds me i'm still lacking "anti-virus" .  what do you recommend?  thanks.  FYI, some online reviews say the 2009 Norton is much less intrusive and is getting better reviews than the 2005-2008 ones.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Starflyer59

The Norton 2009 is much better than any previous version.

As far as getting your software back, if all else fails just do a factory restore and they will put everything back to the way it was when it came out of the box.

**If you like my answer then click the little Star under my username.
**If my response answered your question then click the Solved button. Thanks

Please use plain text.
iowahawkeye

how do i do a factory restore?   if worse comes to worst...

and if i do a factory restore, will it delete all the programs i've added thus far (firefox, firefox internet protection, anti-spyware programs, etc)...

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Starflyer59

If It hasn't changed, you will need to press F10 when you turn on your Computer. A factory restore will delete any programs that you have installed. Just follow the prompts and choose full factory restore.

**If you like my answer then click the little Star under my username.
**If my response answered your question then click the Solved button. Thanks

Please use plain text.
Valued Member
AJ87

You shouldn't have to do a complete Recorvery.  HP has an Application Recovery Tool for OEM installed apps that came with your computer.

On your system, find the HP program group and look for either

Help And Support program group

or

PC Help And Tools program group

From there,

1. Click HP Application Recovery.
  2. Click Application Installation or Driver Installation, and then click Next.
  3. Select the driver or application program to install, and then click Install.
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions, if any.
  5. Repeat steps 8 and 9 to install other drivers or applications.
  6. When you have finished recovering applications or drivers, close the Application Recovery program. Click Start, click Turn Off Computer, and click Restart to restart the PC.

Another option is to go into Window's SYSTEM RESTORE  and select the option to restore your computer to a previous point.  You'll see calendar that will show you all your prior restore points available.  See if one exists before you uninstalled Symantec's Security Suite.

If so, make a current System Restore point (this is a back up incase you want to undo any system changes)

After you make your current Restore Point,  

Select a restore point from the available ones before you uninstalled Sysmantec, and try restoring your computer.  If it doesn't correct the issue, you can restore once more to your latest restore point.

I can't tell you how much Geek Squad will charge for reinstalling your software, but HP support will talk you through the application recovery free via toll free phone or online support.  Just have you purchase information and model number handy. 

Please use plain text.
iowahawkeye

wow, this is great info, i'll print it out and try it later tonite, thanks!
Please use plain text.