Add Product

Search Results:

snaiyer

iPhone 4 also gets warm/hot during use

Has anyone noticed this.

So far I had been using a case to avoid the antenna issue. Today I started using my phone without case and noticed that when using Internet on 3G, phone gets pretty warm specially on the lower right side where you have another band between the metal. This is just on the opposite side of where the antenna reception issue occurs by touching.

Anyone else facing this. Can you please test without case and surf net for couple of minutes to see what happens.

I guess it happens more when signal strength is low.
Please use plain text.
nameivom

Re: iPhone 4 also gets warm/hot during use

Yes, 3G will do it every time. If I use 3G continuously for about 1-2 hours it will get warm/hot near the back (not on the antenna). WiFi, not so much. I should add this isn't just an iPhone 4 issue. Each iPhone I've had (original and 3G) has gotten hot with lots of use. Any small electric device will do so. It is just that cell phones work twice as hard when you connect to 3G. The EVO does the same thing but gets hot much faster when using Sprint's 4G WiMax.

This is why laptops and desktop towers have built in fans. To keep the components cool during heavy use. Phones don't have that luxury and the components are even smaller and more tightly packed.

If it gets to hot just set it down for a little while or if you are around WiFi, use that instead of 3G.

Please use plain text.
Recognized Member
Solange82200

i dont remember what I was using, but i remember while i was on vacation in NY i felt it and it was pretty hot.

Please use plain text.
RealGeorgeW
Topics: 616
Kudos: 531
Solutions: 311

This is not just an iPhone issue. ANY phone will warm up after using it for more than a few minutes. LCD/LED doesn't give off a lot of heat, but trap it up in a small cell phone body and it can add up.

Heck, my 6 year old Palm warms up if you have the screen on for a while.

If you like my post, or solution to your issue/question, go ahead and click on the little star by my name and/or accept the post as the Solution. It makes me happy.

I'm NOT an employee of Best Buy, or Geek Squad, though I did work as an Agent for a year 5 years ago. None of my posts are to be taken as the official stance that Best Buy will take on your situation. My advice is just that, advice.
Unfortunately, that's the bad luck of any electronic, there's going to be bad Apples... wait that's a horrible pun.
Please use plain text.
nameivom

Well keep this in mind, if it gets so hot as you can't touch it at all (flaming hot) there is a problem. But if it is just warm to the touch then leave it alone for a little while.

Also charging your phone with a case on can heat it up. Try charging your phone without a case on it.

Please use plain text.
Valued Member
jstiehler

mine is actually getting really hot while it charges.  thought about getting one of those forehead thermometers and checking out the temperature reading.....lol.....gets annoying after awhile.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Entropy

RealGeorgeW wrote:

This is not just an iPhone issue. ANY phone will warm up after using it for more than a few minutes. LCD/LED doesn't give off a lot of heat, but trap it up in a small cell phone body and it can add up.

Heck, my 6 year old Palm warms up if you have the screen on for a while.

It's not the screen that eats battery/generates heat, it's the CPU.  (It just tends to be associated with the screen because the CPU is more likely to be cranking when the screen is on.)

The dominant source of battery consumption/heat generation is the phone's radio though - 3G data usage or voice usage will heat up the phone a lot.

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.
Please use plain text.
iWeldonJ

Happens with every 3G phone. I noticed it back when I started using 3G, followed by 3GS and now iPhone 4. There's some tips and stuff on the iPhone 4 manual on the Apple website.

Please use plain text.