Add Product

Search Results:

Yimi

How many hours of video do I get with 4GB or more on a memory card?

I'm going on a vacation for four days and I'm assuming I'll be recording around an hour each day. How many GB's should I look for in a memory card? I thought there would be some easy to find standards on this, but I guess I have to consider fps and possibly other factors like the type of camcorder or memory card. More specifically, I'm interested in the Kodak - Pocket Video Camera which records in HD, if I purchased an 8 GB memory card and recorded at 30 fps, would this suffice?
Please use plain text.
Cdy291

Re: How many hours of video do I get with 4GB or more on a memory card?

Straight from Kodaks web site.

"Record about 20 min. per 1 GB at HD 30 fps."

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Entropy

Yimi wrote:
I'm going on a vacation for four days and I'm assuming I'll be recording around an hour each day. How many GB's should I look for in a memory card? I thought there would be some easy to find standards on this, but I guess I have to consider fps and possibly other factors like the type of camcorder or memory card. More specifically, I'm interested in the Kodak - Pocket Video Camera which records in HD, if I purchased an 8 GB memory card and recorded at 30 fps, would this suffice?

Depends on whether it's standard def or high def.

I don't know about the Kodak HD camera you're interested in, but the Canon HF100 at maximum quality (17 Mbps bitrate AVCHD if I recall correctly) gets around 2 hours on a 16GB SDHC card from what I remember.  Mine is at home so I can't check.

Lower end cameras (like the Aipteks) are not as good at specifying the bitrate used, but you can usually find out by Googling a bit.  I think most of the 720p Aipteks ran somewhere around 5-8 megabits/sec?

A standard definition camcorder should be able to fit a lot more.

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.
Please use plain text.
Yimi

@ Cdy291, that's helpful, but I can't find where you found that info on their site, so I can look up similar information like how many minutes I get to a GB, recording in VGA mode...

@ Entropy, 2 hours on a 16GB card that costs from 80 to 100 dollars is just riduculous to me, I want a decent looking video, but I'm not filming a wedding or anything. Really, I just want as much video time for each MB as possible without quality suffering too, too bad. I'm curious about the standard recording quality that you mentioned, I figured HD is the new "standard" and most camcorders record in HD. The camcorder I'm interested in records in VGA as well which is supposably 480x640 pixel resolution, I'm wondering if this would be considered standard definition? If VGA isn't that bad in quality, I'm still trying to figure out if I can get away with buying an 8GB card and have more than 2 hours and 40 mintues in HD 30 fps.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Entropy

Yimi wrote:

@ Cdy291, that's helpful, but I can't find where you found that info on their site, so I can look up similar information like how many minutes I get to a GB, recording in VGA mode...

@ Entropy, 2 hours on a 16GB card that costs from 80 to 100 dollars is just riduculous to me, I want a decent looking video, but I'm not filming a wedding or anything. Really, I just want as much video time for each MB as possible without quality suffering too, too bad. I'm curious about the standard recording quality that you mentioned, I figured HD is the new "standard" and most camcorders record in HD. The camcorder I'm interested in records in VGA as well which is supposably 480x640 pixel resolution, I'm wondering if this would be considered standard definition? If VGA isn't that bad in quality, I'm still trying to figure out if I can get away with buying an 8GB card and have more than 2 hours and 40 mintues in HD 30 fps.

VGA is standard definition.  You'll get a lot more time out of it.

Also, flash memory is currently $30-40 per 16GB card, not 80-100, depending on brand and speed rating.  (The Transcend Class 6 cards I use in my HF100 currently sell for $40, and I'm looking at a Kingston Class 4 card for $30.)

Given the choice between a "cheap" HD camcorder and using it in SD mode (like some of the pocket units) and a "good" SD camcorder, I'd go with the good SD camcorder, like a Canon FS200 or one of Panasonic's flash memory camcorders.

Canon makes excellent units but unfortunately their FS series only offers electronic image stabilization, not optical image stabilization.  For a standard def unit you may want to go with Panny.

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.
Please use plain text.